Windows 7 CHUI client - Full screen

Posted by wvdgraaf on 28-Mar-2014 08:15

I have a new client that still has an application running CHUI.

This application (and databases) is 100% running on a Windows environment.
Problem now is that since Windows 7 it's not possible anymore to use the <ALT>-<ENTER> combination to switch the applicatie to full-screen (like a REAL regular dos-box).

Does anybody know of a method to accomplisch this?

I did try the open-source tool dos-box, but Progress Chui has a box of its own and it's not possible to start then _progres.exe from this dos-box.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 08-Apr-2014 02:07

Why is it essential that the application runs full screen without borders? If you make the font large enough, and use 80x24 characters, it shouldn't matter too much that the application runs in a Window?

The application could also be adjusted to use more of the screen's real estate, now that the resolution has gone up, but I guess that would be a lot more work...

All Replies

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 05-Apr-2014 06:11

Check http://www.dosbox.com/ . Did not try it myself but according to wiki it is configurable.

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 05-Apr-2014 06:19

Whoops, it seems your referring to the same open source solution

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 06-Apr-2014 15:41

Dosbox emulates a machine running the DOS operating system, not a Windows command prompt, so I doubt that would work...

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 06-Apr-2014 15:43
Posted by wvdgraaf on 07-Apr-2014 02:00

Your suggestion does the same as the dosbox tool.

It just opens a dos-like command prompt.

It is however not possible to start _progres.exe from this prompt.

So this won't work.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 07-Apr-2014 03:44

I hadn't tested it, but it appears to be buggy indeed. Dosbox is something completely else though, it runs DOS (not a command prompt), so that would certainly not be able to run _progres.exe.

Apparently real full screen isn't possible, but you should be able to adjust the geometry of the command window:

superuser.com/.../how-do-i-full-screen-my-cmd

superuser.com/.../fullscreen-vistas-command-prompt-or-replacement

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 07-Apr-2014 03:49

Try Console (sourceforge.net/.../console) or ConEmu: (https://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/)

While they can't do real full screen without borders, you can easily enlarge the window to suit your needs.

Posted by wvdgraaf on 07-Apr-2014 04:42

Thank you. But as for now the only kind-of" working solution is to change the window size of the default box and change the default font so you still have the same amount of lines and characters (80x24).

I found another possible solution. To completely disable the graphics card adapter and run the computer on VGA only.

In that case it should be possible to use the old alt-enter behaviour.

Drawback to this is of course the loss of all other graphical functions when you're not using the application.

So for me, that's also a no-go.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 08-Apr-2014 02:07

Why is it essential that the application runs full screen without borders? If you make the font large enough, and use 80x24 characters, it shouldn't matter too much that the application runs in a Window?

The application could also be adjusted to use more of the screen's real estate, now that the resolution has gone up, but I guess that would be a lot more work...

Posted by wvdgraaf on 09-Apr-2014 03:10

It's not "essential", but it's what they are used to.

We'll go for the semi-full-screen method of defining the font large enough and resizing the window.

Thank you for your suggestions.

This thread is closed