How can I know the program that are calling a procedure in a

Posted by carlos@lux.mx on 12-Mar-2014 11:46

From the side of the appserver, I want to know the name of the remote program that are calling the program that the appserver are currently running.. 

Thanks in advance 

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 12-Mar-2014 11:51

If you're running a suitably modern version of Progess (V10 or later) I think, then there is an attribute called INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE. This is valid for all sorts of system handles, including THIS-PROCEDURE. This might well get what you want.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 12-Mar-2014 12:09

THIS-PROCEDURE:INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE is a valid (?) procedure-handle for the procedure that was RUN … ON server-handle.

However it does not have a FILE-NAME attribute assigned.

It’s either a bug (11.3.2) or it was not intended to be available on the AppServer in that way. I’d guess the latter.

Von: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. März 2014 17:52
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: How can I know the program that are calling a procedure in a AppServer?

Reply by James Palmer

If you're running a suitably modern version of Progess (V10 or later) I think, then there is an attribute called INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE. This is valid for all sorts of system handles, including THIS-PROCEDURE. This might well get what you want.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by carlos@lux.mx on 12-Mar-2014 12:22

As Mike siad, when I use  INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE I just get a number...  

Posted by Mike Fechner on 12-Mar-2014 12:29

Thats a "handle". But the file-name attribute is blank.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: carlos@lux.mx
Gesendet: ‎12.‎03.‎2014 18:23
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: How can I know the program that are calling a procedure in a AppServer?

Reply by carlos@lux.mx

As Mike siad, when I use  INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE I just get a number...  

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 12-Mar-2014 13:28

Someone from Progres development here that would be able to comment on the INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE handle of the procedure ran on the server?

Is it intended that the FILE-NAME is blank - or a bug?

Posted by David Cleary on 12-Mar-2014 14:10

You are correct that this feature wasn't meant for an AppServer. It is meant in the context of super procedures. Right now, I know that this data is not sent over the wire when executing a procedure on an AppServer.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 12-Mar-2014 14:20

Thanks for clarifying this!

In a way it makes sense as relying on this might give you the implication of being able to call back into the instantiating procedure. And what about open clients? It would be inconsistent with them.

If you need to know this in your application, check the OERA whitepapers. Implement a Service Adapter as the only piece of code on the client that talks to the AppServer. That way you can pass whatever context you need to the Service Interface on the AppServer.=

This thread is closed