Linux 32 bit, does anyone still use this?

Posted by Peter Mellow on 04-Mar-2014 15:31

We are always trying to rationalize the platforms we support. The only 32 bit platform (other than windows) that we support in V11 is Linux. 

Do you or your customers use 32 bit Linux? Should we keep supporting it?

All Replies

Posted by Peter van Dam on 04-Mar-2014 15:47

The vast majority of our customers are on 32 bit Linux. Why should we swap their machines?

We are currently in the process of upgrading them all to OpenEdge 11.3.2.

Posted by gus on 04-Mar-2014 22:47

the reasons to use 32-bit Linux are:

0) you have 32-bit only hardware

1) you have 4 GB or less memory in the machine

2) you are using third-party shared libraries that require 32-bit

note that a 64-bit Linux system can run 32-bit executables just fine. you won't even notice. this means that not all the executables have to be 64-bit. bit a 64-bit executable cannot load a 32-bit shared library and vice-versa.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 05-Mar-2014 10:07

Hopefully a larger, official survey will be performed before support for it is canned. J

Posted by Peter Mellow on 05-Mar-2014 10:32

How much more official do you want?J

Yes Product Management will look at what is being used. The argument is that 32-bit hardware is pretty old now.

[collapse]
From: Jeff Ledbetter [mailto:bounce-jeffledbetter@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:07 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: Linux 32 bit, does anyone still use this?

Reply by Jeff Ledbetter
Hopefully a larger, official survey will be performed before support for it is canned. J

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Mar-2014 11:50

There is an awful lot of old equipment out there.  Granted, a lot of it is running old versions, but it seems like a bad idea to create additional obstacles to people moving to new versions unless it is really a problem about maintaining compatibility.  I can see stopping support for some proprietary platform which is barely being sold any more but I wouldn't think that continuing support for 32 bit Linux in addition to 64 bit Linux was that big a deal.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 05-Mar-2014 15:51

I have two clients on 32-bit Linux executables.  In both cases they don't need to be on 32-bit anymore and I'd like to get them migrated to 64-bit.  We don't use any shared libraries on the server side and they're now on 64-bit OSes.

Peter,

Asking the question here will only get you a small subset of the affected clients that are out there.  Maybe a better approach to target the direct or indirect customers who need to hear the question is to talk to the COM team.  Have the reps determine who still has 32-bit licenses and let them survey their respective customers.

Posted by Peter Mellow on 05-Mar-2014 15:56

As I said in a previous post, PM will be doing that leg work.

Peter

[collapse]
From: Rob Fitzpatrick [mailto:bounce-robfsit@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:51 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: Linux 32 bit, does anyone still use this?

Reply by Rob Fitzpatrick

I have two clients on 32-bit Linux executables.  In both cases they don't need to be on 32-bit anymore and I'd like to get them migrated to 64-bit.  We don't use any shared libraries on the server side and they're now on 64-bit OSes.

Peter,

Asking the question here will only get you a small subset of the affected clients that are out there.  Maybe a better approach to target the direct or indirect customers who need to hear the question is to talk to the COM team.  Have the reps determine who still has 32-bit licenses and let them survey their respective customers.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

This thread is closed