Web services "claims-based authentication" / SAML

Posted by Peter van Dam on 04-Mar-2014 03:44

A customer using Sharepoint wants to communicate with our OpenEdge application through web services.

They seem to require "claims-based authentication" (which is an implementation of SAML?!?).

Can I deliver this? What do I reply?

I have searched both the documentation and the internet but cannot make sense of this.

-peter

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Mar-2014 03:47

I've made earlier experience that .NET Authentication may be hard to implement using Progress Web Services.

Consider implementing a .NET Web Service (ASP, IIS) or a Java Web Service (Tomcat, Glasfish, ...). Implement the required security protocol there and use the .NET or Java proxies to call into the OpenEdge AppServer.

Posted by Peter van Dam on 04-Mar-2014 03:58

Our server is running Linux. What does this mean for the above?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Mar-2014 04:00

That ASP and IIS are ruled out :-) Unless you want to try the Mono Framework (not a bad thing).

Most likely you should consider developing the Web Service for Tomcat or Glasfish or a similar Java AppServer and use the Java OpenClient to talk to the AppServer.

Posted by Peter van Dam on 04-Mar-2014 04:18

Hmm that does not sound very appealing... We have Microsoft skills and OpenEdge skills but no Java skills.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Mar-2014 04:21

And no Windows Server somewhere?

The ASP Web Service on the Windows IIS does not need to run on the same server your AppServer does. The .NET Proxy can do a network connect.

I'm afraid, you either need a Windows server - or Java Skills to write something that runs on Linux and that can call into your AppServer.

Posted by Peter van Dam on 04-Mar-2014 04:23

Yes plenty of Windows servers. Maybe a .NET proxy is a better approach.

I wonder if we still need Web services then?

Posted by Marian Edu on 04-Mar-2014 06:01

Peter, you might also look into this service-provider thingy... shibboleth.net/.../service-provider.html

This thread is closed