The wonderful side benefit of NoSplash

Posted by Fabian Frank on 13-Feb-2014 13:51

For a long time, I took it for granted that it takes some time to start the progress runtime(prowin). Until i discovered the wonderful side benefit of NoSplash: http://www.fabianffrank.com/2014/02/the-wonderful-side-benefit-of-nosplash.html

At first I thought I am the only one not knowing this, but realized that it seems to be quite unknown.

Did you all know this? Do you think something should be changed about it?

All Replies

Posted by Peter Mellow on 13-Feb-2014 14:11

Just for some history, this was done a looong time ago. There was incredible pressure inside the company to implement this to try to combat the “Progress Who” problem. I personally fought against it, but when your boss says “just do it”, well then you do it.

Where would you like to see it documented more prominently?

Peter

[collapse]
From: Fabian Frank [mailto:bounce-fabianffrank@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:52 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: The wonderful side benefit of NoSplash

Thread created by Fabian Frank

For a long time, I took it for granted that it takes some time to start the progress runtime(prowin). Until i discovered the wonderful side benefit of NoSplash: http://www.fabianffrank.com/2014/02/the-wonderful-side-benefit-of-nosplash.html

At first I thought I am the only one not knowing this, but realized that it seems to be quite unknown.

Did you all know this? Do you think something should be changed about it?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Feb-2014 14:19

While the splash is very understandable in the context of starting a session ... and, I don't think a big burden on a user who is starting work for the day ... it sure would be nice to see it go away in the context of PDSOE running test sessions.

Posted by Bill Wood on 13-Feb-2014 15:12

Sounds like a great Community "Idea" to vote on. Start a topic and people can vote on it (Peter and I probably shouldn't "vote" but we can add moral support :-)

Posted by Fabian Frank on 13-Feb-2014 16:13

@Peter mellow: Thats a good question. I would like to have a description of all progress.ini options in the OpenEdge Help File. That's where I always look first, and I might not be the only one. So for me, that would be more prominent.

@Thomas Mercer-Hursh: I agree, for the end user it's less important. I have also heard that some Customers like to replace the Progress splash image by their own custom image.

I think the most simple and effective solution would be to create the "NoSplash" RegKey if a development product is installed, and omit it if not.

@wood: I have already thought about that. I'm going to do that.

Posted by Peter Mellow on 14-Feb-2014 08:57

I spoke to Documentation and they will see what they can do to pull together all the .ini  info into one place. Maybe it won’t be in help but possibly an appendix for now.

Good suggestion.

[collapse]
From: Fabian Frank [mailto:bounce-fabianffrank@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:14 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: The wonderful side benefit of NoSplash

Reply by Fabian Frank

@Peter mellow: Thats a good question. I would like to have a description of all progress.ini options in the OpenEdge Help File. That's where I always look first, and I might not be the only one. So for me, that would be more prominent.

@Thomas Mercer-Hursh: I agree, for the end user it's less important. I have also heard that some Customers like to replace the Progress splash image by their own custom image.

I think the most simple and effective solution would be to create the "NoSplash" RegKey if a development product is installed, and omit it if not.

@wood: I have already thought about that. I'm going to do that.

[/collapse]

Posted by Fabian Frank on 24-Feb-2014 12:25

So, as @wood predicted, it turned out that it was a great community idea. It's the highest voted idea in the OpenEdge section now. Thanks to all voters :)

But keep up voting beacuse ProgressSw seems not fully convinced yet: https://twitter.com/ProgressSW/status/437968781412155392

Posted by James Palmer on 03-Mar-2014 03:07

Hi Fabian, I've tried implementing your solution with the registry key on Win 7 with Progress 11.2.1 and I still get a splash screen. Is there something I'm missing?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Mar-2014 03:26

Hi James,

You could try making a copy of the $DLC\bin\progress.ini file, edit the file and add "NoSplash=Yes" to the [Startup] section then save it.  Once that is done just use the $DLC\bin\ini2reg.exe utility and point it to your new progress.ini file then click the "Translate" button.  This will update the registry with the contents of the progress.ini file.

Sincerely, Brian Maher (Technical Support)

Posted by James Palmer on 03-Mar-2014 03:30

Thanks Brian. I've given that a try and still no dice. If I add NoSplash=Yes to the .ini file of the session I am starting it's working fine, but not from the registry.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Mar-2014 03:36

James,  Are you using the -basekey and -ininame startup parameters?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 03-Mar-2014 03:36

When you are starting with a custom ini file, the registry won't be used.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: James Palmer
Gesendet: ‎03.‎03.‎2014 10:30
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: The wonderful side benefit of NoSplash

Reply by James Palmer

Thanks Brian. I've given that a try and still no dice. If I add NoSplash=Yes to the .ini file of the session I am starting it's working fine, but not from the registry.

Posted by James Palmer on 03-Mar-2014 03:41

Ah that makes sense Mike. Thanks.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Mar-2014 03:42

@Mike.  Bingo.  That is what I was leaning towards being the problem.

Posted by James Palmer on 03-Mar-2014 04:36

[mention:43713cf888d84bdcb3637e465ffa1de6:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] as you might have guessed, the answer to your question is yes, and I am now a wiser person!

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Mar-2014 06:38

James, glad to hear things are working.  :-)

Posted by Fabian Frank on 03-Mar-2014 11:25

Thanks for your feedback. I have updated my blog post to be more clear about this.

This thread is closed