Appserver problems: agent/broker communication issue or faul

Posted by CABI on 29-Jan-2014 06:38

OE11.3 (64bit), Windows 2008 R2. 9 Databases, 11 appservers all "State-reset", fairly standard settings. Currently testing prior to upgrading. Case registered with Progress help 6 days ago.

During testing I asked 8 users to access 3 applications that made use of 3 appservers. Afterwards when I use OEE or asbman scripts to close the appservers some remain in a "STOPPING" state (asbman... -query) with 1 agent available. During an earlier test one appserver would not allow more than two users to connect (initial servers= 5, min server= 2, max server = 50). After I killed it (asbman... -kill) it gerenated a "port in use" message when re-starting it (no server reboot). Other appservers that end up in a stopping state after a manual stop request and then killed will only restart if the Brokers' port number is changed (TCPview doesn't list the port) or the server is rebooted. It's not always the same appservers that are affected. It seem that where a Borkers port get used by an _mproserv process that a problem arises.
   I notice that during user testing a lot of _mproserv.exe processes are started some of which used the ports for some of the appservers, even for those that were not accessed during the testing. At the time of writing with no users on the systems I have 8 Appservers running (a total of 11 agents available) and TCPview shows 11 _proapsv.exe and 8 java.exe's procesess with ports matching those for the brokers and agents. So all as expected. I also have 9 databases running (with bi and ai) and assuming 3x _mproserv per database, I should expect 27_mproserv processes,  but TCPview shows 61 _mproserv processes. The admin server, nameserver and appserver logs show no obvious error messages [not sure what to look for in the admin and nameserver logs].  Any ideas on what could be going on and what I should be looking for (progress and windows server setups). I can shift the Broker's port ranges upstream by a goodly chunk but I feel this just delay the inevitable perhaps as _mproservs occupy more and more ports?

Posted by CABI on 03-Feb-2014 04:45

I've increased the -Mi setting from 1 to 3. I've also changed the port ranges used by the Database and Appsever brokers and those for the database and appserver servers/agents. They all have their discreet port ranges...and so far so good.

many thanks Sasha for pointig me in the right direction.  I feel attendance on a DBA course is overdue.

Posted by Sasha Kraljevic on 29-Jan-2014 06:57

Hi, you didn’t mention database startup parameters, as they are the ones governing the number of _mprosrv processes per databases : -Ma, -Mn –Mi –n as well as –Mpb parameters.
Minimum number of clients per server is probably too low, which means every new incoming connection to the db broker spawns new remote server until max number of servers (eventually per broker) is reached.
Also, having secondary db login broker as well as SQL92 clients (ODBC/JDBC) can have influence on the number of remote servers.
I would suggest that you carefully plan your db configuration:

-          Broker listening port

-          Remote server port range (-miniport –maxport)

-          Maximum number of Servers –Mn

-          Maximum number of Clients per Server –Ma

-          Maximum servers per broker –Mpb

-          Max number of connections –n

The same goes for AppServer, including broker listening port, plus port range for each AppServer broker (srvrMinPort srvrMaxPort IIRC)

Cheers,
Sasha

All Replies

Posted by Sasha Kraljevic on 29-Jan-2014 06:57

Hi, you didn’t mention database startup parameters, as they are the ones governing the number of _mprosrv processes per databases : -Ma, -Mn –Mi –n as well as –Mpb parameters.
Minimum number of clients per server is probably too low, which means every new incoming connection to the db broker spawns new remote server until max number of servers (eventually per broker) is reached.
Also, having secondary db login broker as well as SQL92 clients (ODBC/JDBC) can have influence on the number of remote servers.
I would suggest that you carefully plan your db configuration:

-          Broker listening port

-          Remote server port range (-miniport –maxport)

-          Maximum number of Servers –Mn

-          Maximum number of Clients per Server –Ma

-          Maximum servers per broker –Mpb

-          Max number of connections –n

The same goes for AppServer, including broker listening port, plus port range for each AppServer broker (srvrMinPort srvrMaxPort IIRC)

Cheers,
Sasha

Posted by CABI on 29-Jan-2014 07:35

Thanks Sasha for your advice. I've now got these database parameter values and will work through them making alterations.

Posted by CABI on 03-Feb-2014 04:45

I've increased the -Mi setting from 1 to 3. I've also changed the port ranges used by the Database and Appsever brokers and those for the database and appserver servers/agents. They all have their discreet port ranges...and so far so good.

many thanks Sasha for pointig me in the right direction.  I feel attendance on a DBA course is overdue.

This thread is closed