Defect PSC00287907

Posted by Mike Fechner on 29-Jan-2014 00:01

This sounds like a rather serious issue in all OE 11 releases. USE-WIDGET-POOL in a class (which is intended to avoid memory leaks with dynamic widgets like queries, buffers, etc.) breaks strutured error handling.

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000046260?popup=true

The k-base article does not tell when it's intended to fix this issue? Can anybody shed some light on that`?

All Replies

Posted by Phillip Molly Malone on 29-Jan-2014 01:10

Looking at the bug, it was just logged so not much done on it yet. If you have hit this, I would suggest logging a support request and noting your business impact because for the current customer it doesn't seem to have been a big issue looking at their case quickly and that may effect the speed/priority of the issue.

(note: I just had a quick look for you and haven't thought about the full impact or potential impact.)

Posted by Mike Fechner on 29-Jan-2014 01:30

Haven't ran into that one yet. But when two features designed to make code more robust cause issues with each other it gives me a bad feeling.

Can you please keep the community informed about the progress on that issue.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 29-Jan-2014 07:32

This issue has been logged with the Language team and is in our queue of issues to investigate.  Once analysis is completed we will update the Community.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 29-Jan-2014 07:42

thanks Evan.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 14-Feb-2014 13:18

This issue has been resolved and the fix was installed into our 11.4.0 code base.    The development team did not see the symptom as was logged.  In this bug report it was asserted that the USE-WIDGET-POOL option suppresses errors which occur during the instantiation of a class.  In our environment the symptom was that the client crashed in the example provided.  We have addressed this issue and confirmed that the errors are properly handled.

The next ESAP will contain this change and if someone wanted to provide feedback on this issue it would be appreciated.

Posted by Peter Mellow on 14-Feb-2014 13:30

You guys are the best. But I'm biased.

Peter

Posted by Mike Fechner on 14-Feb-2014 14:15

Thanks for the update, Evan!

This thread is closed