Visual Designer 101 (or even earlier!)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Jan-2014 16:10

I have successfully avoided the Visual Designer all this while, but now I would like a simple form to use in a demo application.  This seems like it should be simple, but I am having trouble finding where to find how to do things.

I need three input fields for which I will supply default values.  Two are integer dollar amounts.  The other is an integer which indicates a percentage.  I am going to stay away from Infragystics controls at this point, both because I don't want to raise any licensing issues in demo code and because I want to keep it very simple.

MaskedTextBox seemed like the right thing, but the behavior in practice seems bizarre.  I want the equivalent of an ABL string format of $>>>,>>>.  Not crucial that the $ float, but would be nice, but it should be a right aligned number with the comma.  From what I have found searching on the control name, it *seems* like $999,999 might be an option, but that doesn't float, i.e., entering 9000 gives me $900,0__ .  This is true whether I enter the data or specify a text value.

Likewise, the percentage should be >>0%

The results display should just be a grid of data which can be scrolled.  I am guessing this is the DataGridView?  I want to give it a temp-table and have it display.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Jan-2014 09:18

Greg Higgins gave me a nice little lesson on the DataGridView aspects, so all I think I need at this point is the dollar and percent formatted input fields.   Is everyone using Infragystics for these things so that no one knows how to use the MSFT controls?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 23-Jan-2014 14:31

I have found a discussion that MaskedTextBox is the wrong type of control because it assumes a fixed number of characters in the total field.  So, what do people use for inputting currency and percentages?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jan-2014 02:23

Infragistics ;-)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jan-2014 10:02

I don't want to use third party controls because this is demo code which someone might want to try out on their own machines.  I have switched to using NumericUpDown, but it seems like hole.

Posted by Peter Judge on 24-Jan-2014 10:09

If the demo code is to be run only (as opposed to being edited by the demo-ee), then you my understanding is that the UltraControls runtimes are usable without the additional license.

-- peter

[collapse]