Determining the file name of a type

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-Jan-2014 14:18

In some dev work here, I've come across a need for getting the file name (ie actual file that was run) for a type. So given Foo.Bar.Baz  I need Foo/Bar/Baz.cls (or .r, depending). To do this I need to do some REPLACE() and appending, which is, basically, yuk.

I would basically like to be able to do something like:

oType = get-class(Foo.Bar.Baz).
hRcode = oType:RcodeInfo.

(I could like with cFile = oType:FileName).

My use-case for this is taking parameters passed in text form (config file and/or param) and finding the rcode for that type.

Does anyone have any other use-cases for this kind of functionality, or feel that it'd be useful for their apps?

-- peter

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jan-2014 14:30

There isn't a lot to computing these themes and variations and search() will tell you the actual file name which would be used.   The problem I see with making these built-ins is that one would have to already have an instance to get the information.  I can certainly see this as being useful in debugging and logging, but less so in tools.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2014 14:34

Peter suggested the feature as a property of Progress.Lang.Class (leaking some syntax I haven't seen yet).

So for Progress.Lang.Class you don't need an object instance.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jan-2014 14:41

Err, but if there a 5 different versions of a class, which one would it tell you.  Seems like you would need an instance to have resolved the search.  Otherwise, isn't search the right tool?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2014 14:44

Can you clarify what you mean with 5 different versions of a class?

Each type is uniquely identified by a type name.

Are you talking about different Foo.SubFoo.FooClass in different PROPATH entries? That's hell on earth and worse - believe me.

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-Jan-2014 14:50

This is to some degree a make-it-easy thing (which is no bad thing in my book). Search() can be (very) expensive and the language knows this stuff anyway if it  is to be able to invoke a type (or procedure for that matter).

-- peter

[collapse]
From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, 06 January, 2014 15:31
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Determining the file name of a type

There isn't a lot to computing these themes and variations and search() will tell you the actual file name which would be used.   The problem I see with making these built-ins is that one would have to already have an instance to get the information.  I can certainly see this as being useful in debugging and logging, but less so in tools.

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jan-2014 14:51

Yes, I am talking exactly about different propath versions.   5 might be pushing things a bit, but it was common for me in development to have my current version, a customer specific version, and the base released version of something.

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-Jan-2014 14:55

This is hijacking (my) thread, but why is that necessary in an OO world with inheritance, interfaces and/or compositional patterns?

[collapse]
From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, 06 January, 2014 15:52
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Determining the file name of a type

Yes, I am talking exactly about different propath versions.   5 might be pushing things a bit, but it was common for me in development to have my current version, a customer specific version, and the base released version of something.

[/collapse]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2014 14:55

[quote user="Thomas Mercer-Hursh"]

[/quote]

I highly recommend to give up that habbit for OO code. Period. One classname, one R-Code available.

Posted by jmls on 06-Jan-2014 15:00

Mike and I agree again ! this is getting spooky ;)

Julian

On 6 January 2014 20:56, Mike Fechner
wrote:
> Thomas Mercer-Hursh
>
> Yes, I am talking exactly about different propath versions. 5 might be
> pushing things a bit, but it was common for me in development to have my
> current version, a customer specific version, and the base released version
> of something.
>
> I highly recommend to give up that habbit for OO code. Period. One
> classname, one R-Code available.
>
>

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2014 15:02

[quote user="jmls"]Mike and I agree again ! this is getting spooky ;)

[/quote]

:-)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jan-2014 15:13

Of course, with MBD I *have* given it up, but it *is* a common way that ISVs handle the problem of having a released version, components under test, and possibly customer-specific code.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2014 15:15

I have met lots of ISV's recently. But no one adopted this insane property for OO code - and that's what this thread is about.

It's the millenium of SCM tools to handle different versions.

This thread is closed