ADM1 in Progress Development Studio?

Posted by RWEBSTER on 03-Jan-2014 11:02

Hi all,

11.3, 64bit, Windows

I'm currently exploring moving our team over to PDS from studio. I'm coming up against a fair few issues in opening some of their old ADM1 .w files.

Most notably it seems that when opening files that contain folder tabs I receive:

** Array subscript 3 is out of range. (26)

The error itself seems to be coming from the adm code itself:

--> set-size adm/objects/folder.w at line 1387 (C:\dlc11\gui\adm\objects\folder.r)
initialize-folder adm/objects/folder.w at line 1276 (C:\dlc11\gui\adm\objects\folder.r)
local-initialize adm/objects/folder.w at line 1358 (C:\dlc11\gui\adm\objects\folder.r)
broker-notify adm/objects/broker.p at line 6266 (C:\dlc11\gui\adm\objects\broker.r)
broker-initialize adm/objects/broker.p at line 4900 (C:\dlc11\gui\adm\objects\broker.r) [snip]

Is this likely a setup/install issue? Or (more likely) because ADM1 is so damn old now?

Posted by RWEBSTER on 09-Jan-2014 03:43

So, PSC are off the hook. Yesterday one of the developers drops the bombshell "Oh yes we modified the ADM source, and  the appbuilder code to accommodate different tab sizes"! Compiled the custom source, dropped it over the top of the dlc11 version, problem solved.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Jan-2014 11:25

Have you tried using your prior version of ADM code instead of what ships with the current version?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jan-2014 04:11

Did you change from an earlier version of Progress at the same time?

You should consider the ADM source (the whole src/adm folder) part of your application and keep a local copy and also commit it to your SCM tool.

Posted by RWEBSTER on 04-Jan-2014 07:27

Thanks, I have a 10.2b 32 bit install, will that suffice? I'll give it a go Monday

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Jan-2014 09:37

One of the things one has to remember about the ADM is that it is just more ABL source code.   If it changes between versions, it may not behave quite the same as your code from a prior version.  The short cut is to use a copy of the code from the prior version with the new version of Progress, at least until you figure out and resolve the issues.  One wouldn't think the ADM1 source was dynamically evolving, but if you have a good tool for doing comparisons, you could compare old to new to see what the differences are.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jan-2014 10:15

There was a change in method/attribut.i in 11.0 and a minor change in tableio.i

You should also verify if in the stand alone AppBuilder in 11.3 it still works.

Posted by RWEBSTER on 06-Jan-2014 03:18

The programs open fine in the standalone Appbuilder, which is what made me think that PDS doesn't support ADM1. Moving the 'old' source over to dlc11 didn't help either.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2014 03:20

In that case it smells like a bug. I'd contact tech support.

Posted by RWEBSTER on 06-Jan-2014 04:00

Thanks Mike, will do

Posted by RWEBSTER on 09-Jan-2014 03:43

So, PSC are off the hook. Yesterday one of the developers drops the bombshell "Oh yes we modified the ADM source, and  the appbuilder code to accommodate different tab sizes"! Compiled the custom source, dropped it over the top of the dlc11 version, problem solved.

This thread is closed