Can any one help me in reverse engineering openedge code usi

Posted by vmadhavi on 16-Oct-2013 09:47

I need to do OE code reverse engineering. I have installed Enterprise Architect version 10. and eclipse as well.

Posted by Marian Edu on 17-Oct-2013 05:52

you can might want to try okapi for that, output is standard XMI... should work with a large number of eclipse based modeling tools and EA should be able to import is as well - ganimede.ro/.../okapi

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 16-Oct-2013 12:54

Are you asking for someone to help you convert R-code back to source code?  If yes, I don't expect you'll get much help as it's probably a violation of some law or other.  Certainly OE Architect won't help.

If this is not what you're asking, then please clarify your question.

Paul

Posted by vmadhavi on 17-Oct-2013 04:57

Hi Paul ,

I am trying to generate UML diagrams from OpenEdge code using Enterprise Architect. I have also installed OpenEdge MDG. I am  getting an error "OpenEdge ABL is an unsupported language . You cannot reverse engineer this class." in Enterprise Architect.

Madhavi

Posted by Marian Edu on 17-Oct-2013 05:52

you can might want to try okapi for that, output is standard XMI... should work with a large number of eclipse based modeling tools and EA should be able to import is as well - ganimede.ro/.../okapi

Posted by vmadhavi on 17-Oct-2013 09:11

Thank you. I will try using okapi.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Oct-2013 14:09

While it might be possible ... not out of the box, but possible ... to reverse engineer OOABL into a class model, legacy ABL code is poorly suited for that.  I don't even think it makes sense.  There is an existing tool, ABL2UML, http://www.oehive.org/ABL2UML which will build a UML component model from legacy ABL.  If that is what you want, I will be talking about it at the upcoming PUG Challenge in Brussels.  I am working on a new version which should be out by the end of the year which will include an open source alternative for the input and many other features.  You can see a brief discussion and some examples toward the end of this talk.  www.cintegrity.com/.../Analysis-Problems-ABL-and-How-Solve-Them   If this is what you want, I encourage you to keep in contact for developments and to let me know more about what you need ... I have lots of ideas about extending the current capabilities.  If this is *not* what you want, then you better tell us more about what it is.

Posted by Rob Straight on 18-Oct-2013 06:41

Just a word of caution- your Progress license terms and conditions have specific restrictions around not reverse engineering Progress products, although my guess is that this is not your goal. If you own the application then you have full rights to do things like convert r-code back to source, or to build models from sourse. If you have licensed the application from someone else, please refer to their licensing terms and conditions.

Posted by vmadhavi on 22-Oct-2013 08:01

Thanks Rob.

Posted by vmadhavi on 22-Oct-2013 08:15

Thank you Thomas. I am currently configuring Enterprise Architect to use ABL2UML tool.

This thread is closed