Inappropriate tips

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Sep-2013 14:21

I have to say that, as often as not I find the tool tip with the syntax of the current construct more distracting than helpful, especially since it often covers the few lines prior, which is what one is most likely to want to look at, but it is particularly annoying when the tip is completely irrelevant to the situation.  E.g., type a define variable for a class and it comes up with the tip for class, i.e., the word which starts a class definition, not something appropriate to a define variable context.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2013 10:56

Two more examples, tips for MESSAGE and FOR *in a quoted string*!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2013 10:59

Not to mention the prompts for completion every time one types a colon ... not only a PITA for blocks, but when writing OO code it happens all the time!

Posted by Admin on 28-Sep-2013 11:06

tamhas schrieb:

Not to mention the prompts for completion every time one types a colon ... not only a PITA for blocks, but when writing OO code it happens all the time!

You are aware, that you can turn that off in the preferences?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2013 11:32

Selectively?   No, I am not actually aware of where to turn it off ... doesn't seem to be under POE/Editor, but the point is not that I object to the feature as that I object to inappropriate tips.  If I am in the middle of a quoted string ... editiing it, no less, so the closing quote is there too ... there is no purpose in prompting me about keywords.   Likewise, if I type a colon in a place where accept-changes is not a valid construct, then there is no positive function in prompting me for it and other illegal things to insert.

Whereas, meaningful tips and meaningful completion prompts are just fine.

Posted by Admin on 28-Sep-2013 11:39

You complaint about "Not to mention the prompts for completion every time one types a colon ... not only a PITA for blocks, but when writing OO code it happens all the time!"  That's a feature you can selectivly turn off in the preferences. Progress OpenEdge -> Editor -> Assistance -> Automatically propose completion on . and :

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2013 11:54

Well, yes, but I can't turn it off selectively.   It is fine to prompt me with possible method or property names, especially after I have typed a few letters so the list is short.   It is prompting accept-changes for the : in a Do or Repeat or a For that I object to because it is not a legal completion there.

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 28-Sep-2013 13:09

that would fit the bill... hmmm..

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 28-Sep-2013 13:13

this works nicely for me as a template. no more DO:accept-changes..!

DO:

$

END.

thanks for mentioning it as a problem - I too often live with these annoyances rather than fixing them.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2013 13:23

Templates are fine for some things, but if one types reasonably well, such a trivial template as this is not worth the effort to remember to use it, really.  The big thing it "fixes" is the loss of fluidity one gets when the d*mn accept-changes gets added and one has to go back and undo it.

Posted by Admin on 28-Sep-2013 16:24

tamhas schrieb:

Well, yes, but I can't turn it off selectively.   It is fine to prompt me with possible method or property names, especially after I have typed a few letters so the list is short.   It is prompting accept-changes for the : in a Do or Repeat or a For that I object to because it is not a legal completion there.

Turn it off completely - if you call it that way.

You can still trigger the autocompletion with CTRL-SPACE like in most modern IDE's

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2013 16:32

Just because there is some kind of workaround doesn't make it not an error to offer tips or completion which is inappropriate to the context.

Posted by Admin on 29-Sep-2013 01:21

tamhas schrieb:

Just because there is some kind of workaround doesn't make it not an error to offer tips or completion which is inappropriate to the context.

Sorry for giving you advices then to make it "workable". Will not happen again.

The topic of DO:ACCEPT-CHANGES has been discussed at every Info-Exchange session in the past 5 years.

You may log a bug if you care enough.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Sep-2013 09:46

I have been trying the workaround and I think it is better than the alternative.

I am raising the point exactly because Sunil has recently been talking about some syntax aware improvements which might be in the works, like syntax aware search and replace.  This would seem to fall in the same category.  I'd like to create awareness so that it doesn't get missed.

This thread is closed