Knowledgebase P121115

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Dec-2006 13:26

I find this new knowledgebase entry a bit puzzling. I know that PSC doesn't want to endorse one product over another, but given that there is only one product which is:

• reportedly extensively used in the European consulting group,;

• the one which has the ability to read and write a .df;

• who gives papers at Exchange; and

• where there is some on-going mutual effort

Why not at least point out that this exists instead of taking such a completely bland approach which instead makes it seems like PSC has little or no interest in UML and is only providing this knowledgebase entry so that people will stop perstering you for the answer.

By all means, mention some other products if you have experience with them, but give the folks a little help.

All Replies

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 14-Dec-2006 14:35

I find this new knowledgebase entry a bit puzzling.

I know that PSC doesn't want to endorse one product

over another, but given that there is only one

product which is:

reportedly extensively used in the European

consulting group,;

the one which has the ability to read and write a

.df;

who gives papers at Exchange; and

where there is some on-going mutual effort

hy not at least point out that this exists instead of

taking such a completely bland approach which instead

makes it seems like PSC has little or no interest in

UML and is only providing this knowledgebase entry so

that people will stop perstering you for the answer.

By all means, mention some other products if you have

experience with them, but give the folks a little

help.

Thomas,

Tech Support have a very specific job to perform which does not include providing any guidance and/or recommendations concerning third party UML tools. They can only speak to PSC licensed products. Also, Tech Support would not necessarily be aware of which third party tools are being used by regional cosulting groups, or which third-party tools vendors are delivering breakouts at Exchange, or which third-party tools vendors who are involved in technology discussions.

Yes, Enterprise Architect is the UML tool which has gained the greatest traction within the OpenEdge developer community. And hopefully, the relationship with Sparx Systems will continue to evolve.

I understand your frustration but the relationship with Sparx is not such that we can make definitive statements or provide guidance through Tech Support. The place to discuss such topics is here on PSDN. If you have any questions regarding modeling or UML or MDA or even Enterprise Architect, then this is the place to ask them, not Tech Support.

Phil

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Dec-2006 14:43

Then why does the

knowledgebase entry even exist? It seems to me that either the KB

entry shouldn't exist or, at worst it shoul d point to some

relevant areas in PSDN where people could get a better picture. The

KB entry I find to be misleading since it suggests no experience,

connection, or anything.

Posted by Muz on 14-Dec-2006 15:57

I don't see an issue with it. It answers the question perfectly.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Dec-2006 16:01

If you were choosing a UML tool, wouldn't you want to at least be made aware of the work that PSC has done with EA? If you are a PSDN reader, you would see that. If you are not a PSDN reader ... and we have to face the fact that lots of people aren't ... then this KB entry would not lead them to see what products and experience were discussed here. To me, that is misdirection since I could easily go out and pick up a UML tool, thinking it didn't matter which one, and then find out a year later that I was missing out.

Posted by Muz on 14-Dec-2006 16:22

Yes - but that should be a white paper on PSDN - not techsupport.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Dec-2006 16:25

Which is why I think the KB entry should either not exist or it should point to PSDN. It would be very easy to say "look on PSDN for information about which tools have been tried with Progress".

Posted by Muz on 14-Dec-2006 16:26

No, I can't agree. Tech Support deals with "what is now". currently "now" there isn't anything supported so its perfectly accurate.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Dec-2006 17:38

Technically accurate, but misleading.

This thread is closed