DataXtend not for Progress?

Posted by Admin on 02-Nov-2006 17:54

I'm after some ORM tool and it looked that DataXtend may fit the bill. So I downloaded trial version, installed it and I wanted to connect to Progress database BUT I cannot find Progress db in database type combo in connection dialog.

How do I connect DataXtend to Progress db?

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Nov-2006 18:30

If I remember correctly from Exchange, this was promised for 10.1B.

Posted by Admin on 02-Nov-2006 19:13

Thanks Thomas.

Can anyone confirm that?

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 03-Nov-2006 08:54

Thanks Thomas.

Can anyone confirm that?

Chris,

I have a call into the DataXtend folks. Hopefully, they will get back to me today.

Phil

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 16-Nov-2006 07:19

I apologize for the delay. DataXtend have indicated there are no short term plans to do this. In the longer-term, it is a possibility but not 100% certain.

Phil

Posted by Alon Blich on 15-Dec-2006 09:59

From "INNOV-15: Life at the Edge: Delivering Effective Data Services for the Extended Enterprise"

I'm also pretty sure it was talked about in the PSDN Radio recordings.

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 15-Dec-2006 10:44

From "INNOV-15: Life at the Edge: Delivering

Effective Data Services for the Extended Enterprise"

Q: Does this work with OpenEdge® RDBMS?

A: Adding support for OpenEdge 10.1B

Full DataXtend product line support

Start gathering information at Exchange

“Best Practices”: contact info:

pantosh@progress.com

Office: 781-280-4839

I'm also pretty sure Gus talked about it in PSDN

Radio recordings.

So much for that.

Do you have a short-term requirement for an ORM tool for the OpenEdge 10.0B RDBMS? Or are you more worried about a statement that is no longer accurate because plans have changed?

Paul Antosh's presentation did not include anything about the ORM functionality of DataXtend CE which was the original question of this thread that I referred to the DataXtend folks. His presentation content was almost wholly about DataXtend RE (replication engine). In hindsight, he should have been more careful with the "full DataXtend product line support" statement. But circumstances have changed. DataXtend CE support for OpenEdge 10 RDBMS has been taken off the table for now because it is being reworked with some newly acquired technology which should result in more powerful and sophisticated ORM functionality. After this rework is complete, then DataXtend CE support for OpenEdge 10 RDBMS will be reconsidered.

Can you point to the PSDN Radio recording by Gus you refer to because I can't find it?

Posted by Alon Blich on 15-Dec-2006 12:39

No current requirement/project, though, a company I've done work was interested in the product as a possible solution in 2004. IMHO, we'd all like and could use these and other technologies with an OpenEdge database, like, XQuery for example.

I fully realize and it's understandable that all statements come with a disclaimer but it now sounds like there aren't even plans to support OpenEdge. Maybe there are hold ups or issues with the SQL engine ?

If its important I'll go through the recordings. I also remember there was a hype afterwards @peg, again, if its important I'll post the link.

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 15-Dec-2006 13:17

I fully realize and it's understandable that all

statements come with a disclaimer but it now sounds

like there aren't even plans to support OpenEdge.

Maybe there are holds ups or issues with the SQL

engine ?

Perhaps it wasn't entirely clear. But the original question and the subsequent answer from DataXtend was specific to ORM functionality in the DataXtend CE product. There is no reason to assume that other plans have changed or safe to assume that such plans will not be adjusted moving forward. This is the nature of the business. We always try to deliver everything according to plan but circumstances change which necessitate adjustments. We'll do our best to keep everyone updated when such changes occur but sometimes that will mean figuring out a new plan to update people with. If anything isn't clear, then ask and we'll do our best to provide an answer.

If its important I'll go through the recordings. I

also remember there was a hype afterwards @peg,

again, if its important I'll post the link.

What was the hype on the PEG? I only saw a handful of posts referring to DataXtend and only in a general way.

Posted by Alon Blich on 15-Dec-2006 13:36

http://www.peg.com/lists/peg/history/200606/msg00389.html

Though, it is not limited to DataXtend.

... the link above points to what I consider to be the most important slide from

Exchange 2006 and why I expect Exchange 2007 to be the most exciting and possibly even awe inspiring Exchanges in the past decade.

This thread is closed