OE 10.2 and Enterprise Architect

Posted by marko.rueterbories on 04-Feb-2009 08:52

Hi there!

I am planning a new software structure in Enterprise Architect and want to generate the code as good as possible for OE Version 10.2 . The problem is that i only found code templates for the EA where OE Version 10.1B code is generated with and there, for example static classes and properties in interfaces do not exist.

Is anyone able to provide me with a package where the new stuff is in?

Hopefully hearing of you

Marko

Message was edited by:

Marko Rueterbories

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Feb-2009 11:00

Templates for EA are very limited at this point and I would take any that you find with a grain of salt and reinvent them yourself before using them seriously. I know that Phil Magnay has been working on an update to doing roundtripping with OO code and EA and I suppose that might include some new templates, but at very best I would take any such templates as a mere indication of what was possible, not as a fixed, perfect example of what should be.

Frankly, at this stage we have only the tip of the iceberg in terms of material showing how good OERA components should be designed using OO. I had hoped that the OERA Open Source Initiative on OE Hive would stimulate discussion and models, from which one could build EA templates, but it has been slow going so far ... looks like I may end up having to do it all myself, which was not the concept.

If you don't feel comfortable designing the models yourself, you might consider bringing in an architectural consultant to help you build a framework prior to doing a lot of work.

Posted by marko.rueterbories on 16-Feb-2009 04:49

Hi Thomas,

thx for youre answer.

Does someone know where to find documentation about the EA CodeGenerator scripting language for the templates?

I would be proud to be able to get a list of all interfaces implemented by a class and put the names into the class definition.

regards,

Marko

Message was edited by:

Marko Rueterbories

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Feb-2009 11:17

The documentation is in the EA help, with some supplements on the Sparx site. I haven't looked at it in a while, but as I recall the documentation is a bit lean, but then the facilities provided are not really very complex ... somewhat the opposite end of the spectrum from dealing with ABL and its 7 zillion keywords!

The real hard part isn't the scripting and templates, but in knowing what you want. This is one of the reasons I started the OERA Open Source Initiative to define the target. http://www.oehive.org/OERAOSI

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 28-Feb-2009 16:28

Marko, Thomas,

I have posted some updates on this subject here: http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?messageID=53166&#53166

Phil

This thread is closed