Collection Classes for OO Relationships

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Jun-2010 16:45

Following some discussion on the PEG, Bruce  Gruenbaum and I have been working on an updated version of the  collection classes I originally published in 2006.  The interaction has  lead to more of a ground up re-design than a rewrite with a strong  initial focus on the kinds of collection classes specifically needed for  modeling one to many relationships between objects.  I have now  published the pre-implementation documentation for this work prior to  doing the final coding so that there is an opportunity for community  input before I have every thing already done.  Please check out  http://www.oehive.org/CollectionClassesForOORelationships and leave any  comments or contact me directly if more interaction is needed.

All Replies

Posted by guilmori on 29-Jun-2010 09:05

While I'm quite interested in this community initiative, I'm still not convinced about a collection library that is:

1) custom made (for performance and integration reason);

2) without generics;

3) without advanced query mechanism

Has anything been revealed regarding these points in a near future version ?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Jun-2010 11:37

As to performance, please read the child page about what we will be testing and add any requirements of your own.  Note, of course, the strong focus on collections for implementing object to object relationships.  There are clearly other needs, such as those in the Java hierarchy, which will get addressed later.  Yes, I'm concerned about performance and it would be nice to get some help from the language, but preliminary testing suggests we may be OK.

No, as far as I know, real generic support is still not on a firm time-table.  I really missed it in the 2006 implementation ... it even drove me to use include files and preprocessors!  That's desparate!  But, this time around I don't know.  Given the focus on relations, really we are only looking at collections of objects so, in the iSet family (see UML child page and Properties and Operations child page) there is really no need for any type except Progress.Lang.Object.  So, the only place where generics would really apply is the key in the iAttrSet family.  This time around, I think I can solve that without generics and with the nonsense I did before.  We'll see if I'm right, but if I am, then the generics may not be so important here.

I know you are fond of the advanced query thing, but I wouldn't hold your breath.  In any case, it is really outside the scope of the present work because it doesn't apply to the kind of basic object to object relationships which this is intended to support.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 01-Jul-2010 12:16

If anyone is interested, there are some interesting comments being made on the OE Hive pages for this topic.

This thread is closed