Nice quote

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Feb-2013 10:36

Another nice Lahman quote:

"OTOH, the sad truth is that one could paraphrase G. B. Shaw's comment on  Christianity: The only problem with OO development it that it has never  been tried. There is a lot of really lousy OO software around because  people converting from procedural development started coding in OOPLs  right away and just mapped procedural practices onto it."

All Replies

Posted by gus on 12-Feb-2013 14:42

In other words, it doesn't work because I'm doing it wrong?

Posted by robw@hltool.com on 12-Feb-2013 15:30

I think it means - "even it works, you're probably doing it wrong."

Posted by jmls on 12-Feb-2013 15:31

You are not alone - the good Dr thinks that *everyone* is doing it wrong

Posted by Admin on 12-Feb-2013 15:36

Including himself?

Posted by jmls on 12-Feb-2013 15:50

in theory ...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 12-Feb-2013 15:56

Not *everyone* by any means.  See my review at http://www.amazon.com/Model-Based-Development-Applications-H-S-Lahman/dp/0321774078

for a notable example.  Rob has it it pretty much on the money.  Just because it works, doesn't mean it has been done right.  But, one needs a reference base of being done right to have a baseline.

Posted by Admin on 12-Feb-2013 16:41

LOL!

Posted by abe.voelker on 13-Feb-2013 11:44

Hunh?  This guy must be living in a time warp.  Pretty sure the theory around OO programming was thoroughly explored with the development of Smalltalk 30-40 years ago.  It wasn't even the first language to use "objects" - Simula did it way back in 1967.

I seriously doubt this guy has discovered anything new about OO programming that has not been both thought of and tried before.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Feb-2013 13:07

Abe, I'm afraid that the weight of experience is not on your side here.  H.S. Lahman was there then ... in fact, the opening part of his book ( http://www.cintegrity.com/Lahman ) is a brief, but very insightful, history of the development of the OO mentality and the ideas which preceded it.

This thread is closed