[icf-dev] ErWin Evaluation

Posted by LegacyUser on 10-Jul-2002 18:26

Hi All,

We're currently evaluating ErWin with a plan to use it in conjunction with

Dynamics V2 when released. Reading through past posts there seems to be

some compatibility issues between ErWin 4.x and Dynamics 1.1. My questions

is should we be evaluating ErWin 3.5.2 or will Dynamics V2 support ErWin

4.1.

tia,

Ben

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 10-Jul-2002 20:54

Dynamics 2.0 uses ERWin 4. You can get the Dynamics repository ERWin model

from the cvs repository. There is also an ERWin 4 template for creation of

Dynamics-style databases.

The ERWin Dynamics models are in icf/db/icf/doc. The macro code for

generating triggers and such is in icf/db/af/erw.

regards,

Bruce

Bruce S Gruenbaum, Principal Software Engineer

the Progress Company

http://www.progress.com

bgruenba@progress.com

We're currently evaluating ErWin with a plan to use it in conjunction with

Dynamics V2 when released. Reading through past posts there seems to be

some compatibility issues between ErWin 4.x and Dynamics 1.1. My

questions

is should we be evaluating ErWin 3.5.2 or will Dynamics V2 support ErWin

4.1.

tia,

Ben

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 10-Jul-2002 20:56

Thank you very much Bruce,

take care,

Ben

We're currently evaluating ErWin with a plan to use it in

conjunction with

Dynamics V2 when released. Reading through past posts there seems to be

some compatibility issues between ErWin 4.x and Dynamics 1.1. My

questions

is should we be evaluating ErWin 3.5.2 or will Dynamics V2 support ErWin

4.1.

tia,

Ben

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 10-Jul-2002 23:31

Bruce,

With ErWin 4.1 I get errors when trying to reverse engineer my application

database into ErWin. I'm trying to reverse engineer by connecting using the

Merant 3.60 ODBC Driver. It connects succesfully, but then when trying to

read in the definition of the tables in to ErWin it fails with an SQL Syntax

error 7587. Knowledge base turns up issues pointing to incorrect SQL syntax

when connecting the database. This suggests to me that the SQL generated by

ErWin to load the Physical data model is incompatible with Progress.

Obviosly you guys have it working with the Dynamics Repository database -

can you perhaps give me any pointers? CA Tech support's answer is simply

that ErWin only support Progress 8.x. Do I have to load my database into

8.3 to get the physical model into ErWin?

any help would be appreciated.

take care,

Ben

We're currently evaluating ErWin with a plan to use it in

conjunction with

Dynamics V2 when released. Reading through past posts there seems to be

some compatibility issues between ErWin 4.x and Dynamics 1.1. My

questions

is should we be evaluating ErWin 3.5.2 or will Dynamics V2 support ErWin

4.1.

tia,

Ben

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 11-Jul-2002 04:01

Ben,

Reverse engineering with the Merant drivers does not work because ERWin does

not support V9 (although goodness only knows why this has been so difficult

for them to do??!!).

Be that as it may, we use the .df files to do the reverse engineer. You need

to use the df9to8.w program in icf/db/af/erw to convert a V9 .df to V8 .df,

and then import the V8 .df file.

There are several things about reverse engineering that are important to

remember...

1) Because you have gone from V9 to V8 the storage area information in the

.df file is lost.

2) Progress has no relationship info in the database, therefore ERWin cannot

properly reverse engineer the relationships. If you infer the relationships

(no matter which method you choose) ERWin will make mistakes. It has to

guess and sometimes those guesses are wrong.

3) Make sure you reverse engineer into a copy of the Dynamics template so

that you get all the extra stuff that we have put in.

4) As a once off exercise you need to go through and re-supply all the V9

info into the ERWin model so that the next time you forward engineer it is

all there.

Anthony has written an extensive ERWin 4 integration document that you can

obtain at

http://www.possenet.org/files/documents/37/564/erwin4_integration.doc

I'm sure you will find that information useful.

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 11-Jul-2002 06:33

Ben,

Just to add to Bruce's comments - we have actually only tested with ERwin

4.0 SP2 latest build - we have not looked at 4.1 yet - so not sure if you

will experience errors here or not.

You should never work with ODBC to Progress from ERwin - it is very unstable

and as Bruce states only supports V8 databases. Working with DF files is the

only way to go. We have macros that bridge the gap between V8 and V9. It is

all in the doc that Bruce pointed you too.

Regards

Anthony

Anthony D Swindells

Lead Architect, Progress Dynamics

Progress Software Corporation

aswindel@progress.com

We're currently evaluating ErWin with a plan to use it in

conjunction with

Dynamics V2 when released. Reading through past posts there

seems to be

some compatibility issues between ErWin 4.x and Dynamics 1.1. My

questions

is should we be evaluating ErWin 3.5.2 or will Dynamics V2

support ErWin

4.1.

tia,

Ben

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 11-Jul-2002 20:14

Thank you Bruce and Anthony. The ErWin Integration Spec was very useful.

I've managed to reverse engineer our database into a physical model by

dumping and converting the df back to v8 using the tool you described. Next

step dynamics template....

thanks again,