[icf-dev] Install of Dynamics SP3

Posted by LegacyUser on 24-Jun-2002 14:26

Hi,

I am trying to install Progress Dynamics SP3. That comes with a RTB package.

On the progress website, there is also a document which describes

how to rearrange the pathnames.

I have a question here:

- In the RTB package, besides the rtb_* directories, I see also

some directories called:

af

src

Why are these "af" and "src" directories in it and should these

overwrite existing files?

Where am I supposed to extract this package? Normally

it is in the root dir of the workspace. But how does this relate

to the document which describes the change of the root of the

workspace?

When I extract it in c:/dynamics/090/dep, the src directory of the

RTB package

overwrites the existing sources? Is this OK. And what about the af

directory.

That will (in that case) not overwrite the src/icf/af .

Anyway it is not clear to me what I should do now.

- I am struggling a bit with the combination of the following

settings:

- PROPATH in INI file

- workspace path

- use of -BaseADE startup parameter

I have the following workspaces:

c:/dynamics/090/dep (partner load environment)

(contains subdirs: gui,tty,src/icf...)

c:/dynamics/300/dev (optional own modifications of Dynamics)

(contains subdirs: gui,tty,src/icf...)

c:/app1/300/dev (development application 1; application is

based on dynamics)

(contains subdirs: gui,tty,src/icf...,

app1src, app1gui)

c:/app2/300/dev (development application 2; application is

based on dynamics)

(contains subdirs: gui,tty,src/icf...,

app1src, app1gui)

c:/rtb91c (contains Roundtable install directory)

c:/rtbwork (Contains RTB database and INI, PF, XML

files and shortcuts for startup of develop)

In case this is maintained in 1 RTB database what should my INI

PROPATH, workspace-pathnames and -BaseADE

startup parameter be?

(as you can see, I am using 1 INI and 1 PF file for all of those

workspaces. MAybe this is wrong?)

Best regards,

Martin Bos - mailto:martin.bos@cargomate.com

CargoMate BV - Meerwal 21 B - 3432 ZV - Nieuwegein - NL

tel. +31(0)30-6048811 - fax +31(0)30-6090000 -<http://www.cargomate.com/>

CargoMate - Global Logistics Software Solutions

Bangkok - Dubai - Amsterdam - Miami - San Francisco - Los Angeles

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 25-Jun-2002 02:27

Martin,

The new structure in RTB should be as follows off the root of your workspace :

E.g. c:/dynamics/090/dep

c:/dynamics/090/dep/src

c:/dynamics/090/dep/src/icf/...

c:/dynamics/090/dep/src/adm2/...

c:/dynamics/090/dep/af/sup

(this last one is due to an error in changing the object paths, where the file afchartfxd.wrx has not been moved into the src/icf structure within the RTB repository)

It is correct that you are using one .ini file, which should ONLY contain the path to your RTB installation followed by the default Dynamics / Progress PROPATH entries. My .ini file has the following PROPATH :

PROPATH=.,D:\dynamics\custom\rtb91c,D:\dynamics\custom\rtb91c\rtb,D:\develop\rtb91c,D:\Dynamics11A\gui,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adecomm.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adeicon.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adeshar.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adeuib.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\protools.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adeedit.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adedict.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\prodict.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adecomp.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adedesk.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adexml.pl,D:\Dynamics11A\gui\adeweb.pl,D:\Dynamics11A,D:\Dynamics11A\src,D:\dlc91c,D:\dlc91c\bin,D:\develop\V91Tools\gui\v91tools.pl

Remember that RTB will manage the rest of your PROPATH so that it point to the correct root workspace paths and has the necessary PROPATH elements you need. Your workspace paths should look like this :

/src/icf

/src/icf/af/sup2

/src/icf/scm/custom/rtb

/src/icf/scm/rtb

/src/adm2

/src

This will ensure that you have access to all of the code you need, as well as the RTB customisations. (remember that you have to have a copy of the customised rtb_evnt.p file in your RTB root directory e.g. D:\rtb91c)

The .pf file should also only contain the basic settings that you need for running the Progress / Dynamics environment - most of the settings can actually be set in the icfconfig.xml file that you use.

I use the -baseADE parameter to prevent the loading of the standard Progress .pl files, as I have specified all of the .pl files I need from Dynamics in my PROPATH (see the PROPATH above).

In addition to all of this, for our development with the Astra products, we then have all of our source located in a sub-directory structure off the root called "agsrc" - so that we have a relatively small number of directories just off the root of the workspace - and can easily identify the code that belongs to each of the components that make up our environment. So our directory structures look like this :

/agsrc

/src/icf

/src/icf/af/sup2

/src/icf/scm/custom/rtb

/src/icf/scm/rtb

/src/adm2

/src

In order to get your other workspaces up to date with this structure, you will have to manually rearrange the directories - as RTB will not do this for. You should also check the following :

- make sure that the new paths have been imported into your current RTB repository by checking that the workspace module directories now contain src/icf instead of just "icf" - so instead of icf/af/sup (for 090af-sup) the directory should now be src/icf/af/sup.

- Run the Build Names Table from RTB (off the Admin menu) to ensure that all object paths are correct.

- In each of your other workspaces that are sourced off the 090dyn-dep workspace and onwards, you must update your workspace sources to include the new products and modules (mainly 090DLC which contains the ADM2). This is simply done by selecting the workspaces in the correct order (090dyn-dep - 300-dev - 300-tst etc), entering the Workspace Sources screen in RTB and leaving it again - this will refresh the sources to get any new products and modules that have been added to the source workspace.

HTH. Sorry about the long post. If you have additional questions, let me know.

Regards

Thomas Hansen

Managing Director

___________________________________

MIP Europe A/S

Ã…strupvej 53

9800 Hjørring

Denmark

Tel.: +45 98 90 49 16

Fax.: +45 98 90 49 17

Mobile : +45 20 16 19 29

E-mail : thomas@mip-europe.com

Web : www.mip-europe.com

Chairman - Danish Progress User Group

__________________________________

Dynamics-Based Astra2, AstraGen2 Global Application and AstraFin2 Financial Modules

      • Advanced Future Proof RAD Progress Enterprise Development ****

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 25-Jun-2002 06:54

Thomas,

Thanx for your great answer.

But do I need to restructure the directory-structure BEFORE or AFTER

the install of SP3 ?

As far as I can see, the RTB package of SP3 is based on the NEW directory

structure

or am I wrong here?

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 25-Jun-2002 07:13

Martin,

I would do the restucture first, as you will then be sure that the files that are overwritten when you do the imports between workspaces overwrites to correct files.

So I would do the restucture as well as the Build Names Table just after doing the load of the partner site package into 090dyn-dep. You have to do this, otherwise you will not pick up the changed structure needed to update the other workspaces.

HTH

Thomas Hansen

Managing Director

___________________________________

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 25-Jun-2002 08:57

Martin,

Sorry if I confused you

- restructure 090dyn-dep

Yes - just the directory structure.

- extract RTB package in c:\dynamics\090\dep

(this install rtb_* subdirs and overwrites some src/....)

- partner site load in 090dyn-dep

- build names table in 090dyn-dep

This should be done in ALL workspaces. Make sure that the changes to the paths have been loaded correctly into RTb first though - as I have seen issues where this does not happen for some reason - which I have not yet been able to identify.

for all other workspaces which depend on 090dyn-dep:

- restructure

- build names table

This could have been done together with the other workspace - the order is not so important - as long as it is done BEFORE the import.

- import changes from 090dyn-dep

Finally, you should naturally recompile everything with full Xref in RTB for all of your workspaces. Make sure that the contained ADM2 does not break things, and if you have customisations to the ADM2 as part of your environment, then you have to create custom variants of these so that they are part of your new environemt - if you have not done so already.

Regards

Thomas

First you say that the restructure must be done first.

Second you say that the restucture need to be done just AFTER

the partner load is is done.

I suppose the correct order is:

- restructure 090dyn-dep

- extract RTB package in c:\dynamics\090\dep

(this install rtb_* subdirs and overwrites some src/....)

- partner site load in 090dyn-dep

- build names table in 090dyn-dep

for all other workspaces which depend on 090dyn-dep:

- restructure

- build names table

- import changes from 090dyn-dep

Is this the correct procedure?

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 25-Jun-2002 12:02

Just to add my tuppence-worth,

When you do the Roundtable partner-site package load from SP2 to SP3, the

workspace modules for Dynamimcs, because they already exist and are

populated in the Roundtable repository, do not get updated as part of the

partner site update.

What this means is that the workspace module definitions still refer to

af/obj, etc and not to src/icf/af/obj, etc. In order to fix this problem

you need to set your site number to 0 (zero) and manually change the

workspace module definition paths making sure that all modules are prefixed

with src/icf. Once you have done this you can change your site number back

to what it was previously.

Cheers.

Gary.

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 26-Jun-2002 15:28

Gary,

It is true that after partner site load, the workspace

module paths still point to af/sup instead of src/icf/af/sup

I changed my sitenumber to 0 and opened Admin-Products

and opened the workspace module maintenance.

This screen does NOT allow me to modify the paths. The field is NOT enabled.

So:

What do you mean by:

"and manually change the workspace module definition paths"

??

The editor?

Martin

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 15-Jul-2002 07:55

Hi Martin,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I've been of on Holiday - very nice it was

too!.

I should have said - you need to set your site number temporarily to site

90. Roundtable will only allow you to change workspace modules that belong

to the current site and as all of the Dynamics workspace modules are

prefixed with 090 - you need to be site 090 to change them.

Hope this is useful.