[icf-dev] Dynamics witout repository

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 06:37

IMO, Dynamics minus repository concept would be a better product.

any comments?

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 06:38

HA HA HA HA! Good one.

-Original Message-

From: Amir Aziz

Sent: 22 July 2002 01:37

To: dev@icf.possenet.org

Subject: Dynamics witout repository

IMO, Dynamics minus repository concept would be a better product.

any comments?

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 06:42

Amir,

That is known as ADM2 or possibly 4GL and has been available for

purchase for several years now.

Sincerely,

Brian K. Maher

Principal Technical Support Engineer Phone : 781-280-3075

Progress Software Corporation E-Mail: maher@progress.com

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 06:52

But there we do not have stuff like dynamics lookup , dynamic combo etc.

do we?

Brian K. Maher wrote:

>Amir,

>That is known as ADM2 or possibly 4GL and has been available for

>purchase for several years now.

>Sincerely,

>Brian K. Maher

>Principal Technical Support Engineer Phone : 781-280-3075

>Progress Software Corporation E-Mail: maher@progress.com

>If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

>For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 06:54

And where do you think the attributes for this stuff gets stored? TA DA! In

the repository.

Seriously, if you want to use Dynamics the way it was intended, the

repository is going to play a big part. I guess you don't have to if you

don't want to.

Cheers,

Neil

Brian K. Maher wrote:

Amir,

That is known as ADM2 or possibly 4GL and has been available for

purchase for several years now.

Sincerely,

Brian K. Maher

Principal Technical Support Engineer Phone : 781-280-3075

Progress Software Corporation E-Mail: maher@progress.com

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 06:54

Yes, but without the repository, you couldn't have dynamic lookups, dynamic combos etc.

Beginning to make sense?

Brian K. Maher wrote:

Amir,

That is known as ADM2 or possibly 4GL and has been available for

purchase for several years now.

Sincerely,

Brian K. Maher

Principal Technical Support Engineer Phone : 781-280-3075

Progress Software Corporation E-Mail: maher@progress.com

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 07:19

When you drop an sdo in a window, information about the sdo is stored

in window itself.

In the same way dynamic lookup information could be stored in window.

and yes this would be another product. not 'dynamics'.

i could use these wondurful stuff in my application (which is adm2 but

not based on dynamics)

Regards,

Amir

Brian K. Maher wrote:

Amir,

That is known as ADM2 or possibly 4GL and has been available for

purchase for several years now.

Sincerely,

Brian K. Maher

Principal Technical Support Engineer Phone : 781-280-3075

Progress Software Corporation E-Mail: maher@progress.com

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 22-Jul-2002 08:46

Amir,

There is a similar concept to Dynamic lookups and dynamic combos available

in the normal Version 9 ADM2 - smartselect. Although this works in a

different way to the lookups and combos in Dynamics - the concept of one

object (dynSelect) being used several times based on its context - is

similar to how Dynamics does it. The main difference is in the fact that in

ADM2 the attributes as to which fields you want to view, enable, etc are

stored in the source code of the container whilst in Dynamics they are

stored in the Dynamics repository.

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't take some of the dynamics'

objects (such as dyncombo, dynlookup, etc) and run them directly from source

code without the repository. All you would need to do would be to change

how the objects are constructed - instead of taking the data from the

Dynamics repository, the data would come from the containers source code.

There are many advantages to adopting a repository approach to development,

however. These include the ability to support multiple interfaces to the

same business logic; the ability to "adapt" to new interface trends (such as

Windows XP, WAP, DHTML, etc) by changing the rendering programs; and

improving interface inheritance whereby a modification to a class object

will effect all sub-classes of that object.

I do agree with you, to some extent, that it would be nice to be able to run

some of the new Dynamics' features directly from source code (maybe someone

would like to create some example programs of how to do this ). In this

way some of the new features could be used within a standard ADM2

application without ICFDB having to be connected.

Where this is a feasible option this has, to some extent, already been done.

For example, the dynTreeView program required a wrapper to the Microsoft

TreeView control. This was done in such a way as to allow the TreeView to

be embedded within a normal ADM2 application as well as within a Dynamics

application without the need to have the ICFDB database connected.

The above is only my opinion and does not, necessarily, reflect the opinion

of Progress Software.

Hope this is of some help.

Gary.

Gary S Clink

Consultant

Phone: +44-(0)1753-216300

Direct: +44-(0)1753-216308

E-Mail: gary.clink@progress.com

Progress Software (UK) URL: http://www.progress.com/

This e-mail is from Progress Software. Our web site is at

http://www.progress.com Our principal place of business in the UK is at 210

Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 3XE, UK. Our central telephone number is

+44 (0)1753 216300.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the

recipient(s) named above. It may contain confidential or privileged

information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other

person. If you are not a named recipient, please contact the sender and

delete the e-mail from your system.

Brian K. Maher wrote:

Amir,

That is known as ADM2 or possibly 4GL and has been available for

purchase for several years now.

Sincerely,

Brian K. Maher

Principal Technical Support Engineer Phone : 781-280-3075

Progress Software Corporation E-Mail: maher@progress.com

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 01-Aug-2002 05:59

I would like to know if some ISP (or others) have successfully

implemented a Progress Dynamics based project.

I need to convince someone that it is indeed a viable option for a

conversion projct.

Regads and thanks,

Amir

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 01-Aug-2002 06:26

LOTS of people, but I am not at liberty to divulge names. Dynamics V2 is

also due for beta towards the end of August - you may want to give this a

try if you have the time.

Anthony

Anthony D Swindells

Lead Architect, Progress Dynamics