[icf-dev] question

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 05:59

Hi,

I have the following problem with Dynamics 1.1a (ICFDB):

I have deleted/overwritten some ICF data in the repository by accident, and

now the User Control function does not work anymore when running via

Appserver.

How do I now what is overwritten/deleted? I cannot fallback on backup

because

a lot of other changes are made in the ICFDB which I don't want to loose.

This brings me to a general question regarding repositories: Is there no way

to make

these repositories more manageble and controlable.

In the past we had the possibility to compare sources, scan sources, easily

make copies of

particular sources and so on....

Now with all the sources stored in the repository this has become

impossible.

How do we get back or flexibility ?

Best regards,

Martin Bos - mailto:martin.bos@cargomate.com

CargoMate BV - Meerwal 21 B - 3432 ZV - Nieuwegein - NL

tel. +31(0)30-6048811 - fax +31(0)30-6090000 -<http://www.cargomate.com/>

CargoMate - Global Logistics Software Solutions

Bangkok - Dubai - Amsterdam - Miami - San Francisco - Los Angeles

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 06:10

Hi Martin,

The only option I can think of is dumping your object .ados every day and

backing those up. Still not perfect, but at least you'd have the option of

restoring individual objects.

...or use Roundtable, which is fully integrated, and handles all this behind

the scenes for you.

Regards,

Neil

[...]

tel. +31(0)30-6048811 - fax +31(0)30-6090000 -CargoMate - Global Logistics Software Solutions

Bangkok - Dubai - Amsterdam - Miami - San Francisco - Los Angeles

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 06:44

Neil,

This sounds not very convincing....

Actually I am getting afraid of "all behind scenes" solutions.....

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 06:48

"Actually I am getting afraid of "all behind scenes" solutions....."

Time to write your own OS?

Cheers,

Neil

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 07:12

As long as the OS is manageable enough, I don't need that.

By the way:

Sometimes I get the feeling the write my own Windows OS.....

(I am not the only one: Lindows,....)

And that is just the problem: there are currently no real tools to manage

the repository. The ROM is just a start.

Martin

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 07:52

Hi Martin

Sorry I didn't catch the whole thread but I would definately recommend to

anyone

using Dynamics to use Roundtable as well. I know a lot of effort has been

put into

making the original Astra framework, which was originally tightly integrated

with RTB,

independent from any and all SCM tools. But using XML documents to manage

repository

data inside RTB gives you the flexibility you are looking for. So why not do

yourself

a favour?

In order to revert to your previous versions, you'll have to restore a

backup of your

repository, assuming you have one, start a dynamics session against it and

export the

ADOs you want. And then import them back into your live development

repository. Or

manually fix your repository.

It doesn't happen very often that you'll need to revert to an earlier

version of an object

but that one time can cost you as much in time and headache as RTB itself.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Regards

Tom

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 07:55

Hi Martin,

This is a problem that we are aware of that we are looking to address in

several ways. There is no commitment to any V2 tool support for this, but

certainly we are aware that repository diagnostic tools are an area in which

the existing framework is lacking.

Having said that, Neil pointed out earlier that it is possible when you are

using RoundTable to achieve what you are trying to do, and even without

RoundTable, it is possible to roll things back to a previous level.

Dynamics 1.1 ships with all the ADOs for every object in the repository. If

you are looking to rollback a particular object, such as the user control,

you should go the Toolbar and Menu Maintenance tool and determine what

controller is called by a menu item. You can then look for the ADO for that

controller and re-load that ADO. There may be more than one ADO that needs

to be loaded. You may need to load the folder window as well.

I do suggest that before you do this you take a reasonable backup of the

database or do it using a copy of the database.

I would also suggest that if it takes you more than 10 minutes to resolve

the problem, you rather log a technical support call so that things can be

properly handled through the technical support channels. That way, the right

people can get involved in diagnosing and resolving the problem.

regards,

Bruce

Bruce S Gruenbaum, Principal Software Engineer

the Progress Company

http://www.progress.com

bgruenba@progress.com

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 08:27

I almost replied to the same comment with a very similar observation.

But I'm curious -- what sort of a management tool would you find useful

for the repository? What capabilities should it have, what "management"

tasks specifically are you talking about? It sounds like you are

generalizing to more than just component restoration abilities such as

Roundtable provides. If (as Bruce's message suggests) this is being

looked at in the near term, your detailed feedback could be quite useful.

--

Tom Barringer "They that can give up essential liberty

Staff Consultant to obtain a little temporary safety

Empowerment Center NA deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Progress Software -- Benjamin Franklin

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 09:32

Tom,

The functionality where I am looking for is:

- easily make a backup-copy of an object and the ability to restore it

- compare an object with another object

- search objects with several criteria: (just like searching in

windows)

- last changed

- using another object or text "xxxxx".

- objects with a name matches abc*

- and so on...

Martin

Martin Bos wrote:

As long as the OS is manageable enough, I don't need that.

By the way:

Sometimes I get the feeling the write my own Windows OS.....

(I am not the only one: Lindows,....)

And that is just the problem: there are currently no real tools to manage

the repository. The ROM is just a start.

Martin

--

Tom Barringer "They that can give up essential liberty

Staff Consultant to obtain a little temporary safety

Empowerment Center NA deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Progress Software -- Benjamin Franklin

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 04-Sep-2002 20:12

I've also wanted to connect multiple dynamics databases and port objects

between them. That would be highly useful.

James

Martin Bos wrote:

As long as the OS is manageable enough, I don't need that.

By the way:

Sometimes I get the feeling the write my own Windows OS.....

(I am not the only one: Lindows,....)

And that is just the problem: there are currently no real tools to manage

the repository. The ROM is just a start.

Martin

--

Tom Barringer "They that can give up essential liberty

Staff Consultant to obtain a little temporary safety

Empowerment Center NA deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Progress Software -- Benjamin Franklin

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 05-Sep-2002 00:57

Agree.

Martin Bos wrote:

As long as the OS is manageable enough, I don't need that.

By the way:

Sometimes I get the feeling the write my own Windows OS.....

(I am not the only one: Lindows,....)

And that is just the problem: there are currently no real

tools to manage

the repository. The ROM is just a start.

Martin

--

Tom Barringer "They that can give up essential liberty

Staff Consultant to obtain a little temporary safety

Empowerment Center NA deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Progress Software -- Benjamin Franklin

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 06-Sep-2002 09:31

I have recorded these comments in IZ 6199. If you have any additional

tools you would like, or comments on the current list, feel free to add

them.