[icf-dev] Dynamic combo boxes and blank records

Posted by LegacyUser on 29-Oct-2002 14:18

I just ran into a problem that's giving me a bit of a headache.

I just found that apparently dynamic combo boxes behave strangely if there

is a record where the KeyValue of the combo is set to be blank. I have a

dynCombo on a set of codes, one of the codes was blank (with a description

of "Blank value").

The dynCombo displayed nothing as it's screen-value (even though the record

we were looking at had a real value, not the blank record). When we click

on the combo, to see the list of possible values, it doesn't give us

anything there either.

Is this the expected behaviour? It certainly isn't the behaviour that I

was expecting, but we can change our system if need be.

James

James Burts james@klas.com

Keystone Systems, Inc. 919-782-1143

Manager of Software Development Raleigh, NC

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Oct-2002 00:37

Hi James,

This issue gave me headaches too when I was writing the Dynamic Combo box.

It seems that there is a core bug when using a list-item-pairs combo box

with a blank value - this was where the Default Value came in to place for

the and option. The only way to get around this problem was to

assign the key value to at least have some kind of value e.g. '.' or '0' -

you would then have to add some kind of checking in your logic procedure to

replace the blank value with whatever you need it to be upon saving the

record.

HTH

Regards,

Mark Davies

Senior Analyst Programmer

MIP

Tel: +27 (0)11 803 1281

Fax: +27 (0)11 807 1732

E-Mail: markd@mip.co.za

PO Box 2899, Rivonia, 2128

Johannesburg, South Africa

Avoid people who say they know the answer. Keep the company of people who

are trying to understand the question.

[...]

______________________________________

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally

privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If

you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use,

distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also

notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. When

addressed to clients of the company from where this e-mail originates ("the

sending company ") any opinion or advice contained in this e-mail is subject

to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable terms of business or

client engagement letter . The sending company does not accept liability for

any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or from the

accessing of any files attached to this e-mail.

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Oct-2002 05:33

Hi James,

Mark is right - the problem is located in

RUN populateLookups or RUN populateCombos

where Blanks are handled and somewhere '?' comes into play.

I solved the problem with the where clause:

for each xyz where xyz.field and assign a blank.

Stupid, but it works

Regards,

Werner Csida

pro4pro