[icf-dev] Confirm Deletion

Posted by LegacyUser on 13-Dec-2002 16:16

I know this question has been answered before, but I don't remember it.

I want to do some checking in the database (i.e. existence of other records,

etc.) before deleting a record. Based upon the results of that check, I may

want to ask the user to confirm the deletion with the option of saying NO.

Any of the *deleteTransValidate procedures are too late to ask a question

back on the client. What is the proper way to implement this? Is this

going to be supported in a standard way within the framework any time soon?

Dynamics Version 2.0

Progress 9.1D SP1

Thanks

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 16-Dec-2002 09:36

The procedure that gets run on the client on a Delete is deleteRecord, so an

override of that procedure in for example a Viewer or its custom super

procedure will catch the event. But be careful with what you're doing here.

If you want to look things up in the database before allowing the delete to

continue, you're going to have to make a call back to the server to do that

before sending the delete back to the server. This is something that you

want to avoid as a general rule because of the extra overhead, though

especially if a Delete is an uncommon operation, there might be reasons for

it. The standard Dynamics behavior provides an automatic confirmation

message on the client, and of course if the delete violates any server-side

logic, the message describing that will be returned to the client for

display. This is the behavior you get now, without an extra AppServer call.

john

John R. Sadd

Progress Engineering Fellow and

OpenEdge Evangelist