[icf-dev] How to deal with properties from adm2 custom class

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 03:27

Hi,

in our development environment we had several properties defined in the

properties includefiles in the adm2/custom directory (i.e.

src/adm2/custom/datapropcustom.i). Now we switched from Dynamics 1.1 to

Dynamics 2 and I am facing the issue, that these custom properties are not

yet defined for the object type and in dynamics 2 the function

prepareInstance in the repository manager is responsible for defining the

adm-props temp-table rather than the code in the ...props.i files.

I could add these properties to the default object type but that would cause

a modification of the original object type definition. Something the

Dynamics Configuration Utility DCU tried to prevend by adding the

..._SITE_ classes to the repository where changes where made to

default object types.

I could create an sdo_SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object type myself as an

object extending the sdo object type and add my custom attributes to that

type. I guess that might work, but then these properties would only be

available for sdos of that object type.

This would cause issues with the code in my datacustom.p running for ALL

sdos. I could try to make the code depend on the object type or invent a

separate super procedure for my sdo objects which would require the change

of the include file referenced in all my sdos.

What is the proposed way of dealing with custom object properties (of static

objcet) when migrating an application from plain adm2 or Dynamics 1.1 to

Dynamics 2.

Any help appreciated,

Mike

mike fechner it consulting

Breite Str. 116

50667 Köln

Germany

Tel.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-40

Fax.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-41

Mobil: +49 (0) 160 / 700 82 29

mike.fechner@fechner.de

www.fechner.de

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 03:30

Hi Mike,

Have you tried extending the Data class rather than the SDO class? The "data_SITE_1511" would be functionally equivalent to the static datacustom class.

Regards,

Peter

|in our development environment we had several properties

|defined in the properties includefiles in the adm2/custom

|directory (i.e. src/adm2/custom/datapropcustom.i). Now we

|switched from Dynamics 1.1 to Dynamics 2 and I am facing the

|issue, that these custom properties are not yet defined for

|the object type and in dynamics 2 the function prepareInstance

|in the repository manager is responsible for defining the

|adm-props temp-table rather than the code in the ...props.i files.

|I could add these properties to the default object type but

|that would cause a modification of the original object type

|definition. Something the Dynamics Configuration Utility DCU

|tried to prevend by adding the ..._SITE_classes to

|the repository where changes where made to default object types.

|I could create an sdo_SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object type

|myself as an object extending the sdo object type and add my

|custom attributes to that type. I guess that might work, but

|then these properties would only be available for sdos of that

|object type.

|This would cause issues with the code in my datacustom.p

|running for ALL sdos. I could try to make the code depend on

|the object type or invent a separate super procedure for my

|sdo objects which would require the change of the include file

|referenced in all my sdos.

|What is the proposed way of dealing with custom object

|properties (of static

|objcet) when migrating an application from plain adm2 or

|Dynamics 1.1 to Dynamics 2.

|Any help appreciated,

|Mike

|mike fechner it consulting

|Breite Str. 116

|50667 Köln

|Germany

|Tel.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-40

|Fax.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-41

|Mobil: +49 (0) 160 / 700 82 29

|mike.fechner@fechner.de

|www.fechner.de

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 03:48

Hi Peter,

I haven't yet tried to extend the data or sdo class. From my understanding

it would not make any difference for my propblem if I extend the data or the

sdo class as the sdo class is derived from data and sdo does not add any

property at all.

The difference to the plain adm2 datapropcustom.i file is that in adm2 all

sdos (those delivered with dynamics and my own sdos) hold these properties

in the adm-props temptable record. The code in datacustom.p is also running

for all these objects. In progress adm2 changes made in custom files were

available for all objects and now we strongly depend on the object type (for

properties at least and super-procedures might strongly depend on those

properties).

Now I feel like I have to either change the code in datacustom.p to check

for the object type (and object types derived from my custom object type) or

change the super-procedure of all my sdos.

As I guess we are not the only developers triing to migrate an application

with custom properties to dynamics 2 there should be a standard procedure

with steps to follow delivered from progress as a white paper or something

in the release notes or anything else.

Regards,

Mike

Have you tried extending the Data class rather than the SDO class? The

"data_SITE_1511" would be functionally equivalent to the static datacustom

class.

Regards,

Peter

|in our development environment we had several properties

|defined in the properties includefiles in the adm2/custom

|directory (i.e. src/adm2/custom/datapropcustom.i). Now we

|switched from Dynamics 1.1 to Dynamics 2 and I am facing the

|issue, that these custom properties are not yet defined for

|the object type and in dynamics 2 the function prepareInstance

|in the repository manager is responsible for defining the

|adm-props temp-table rather than the code in the ...props.i files.

|I could add these properties to the default object type but

|that would cause a modification of the original object type

|definition. Something the Dynamics Configuration Utility DCU

|tried to prevend by adding the ..._SITE_classes to

|the repository where changes where made to default object types.

|I could create an sdo_SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object type

|myself as an object extending the sdo object type and add my

|custom attributes to that type. I guess that might work, but

|then these properties would only be available for sdos of that

|object type.

|This would cause issues with the code in my datacustom.p

|running for ALL sdos. I could try to make the code depend on

|the object type or invent a separate super procedure for my

|sdo objects which would require the change of the include file

|referenced in all my sdos.

|What is the proposed way of dealing with custom object

|properties (of static

|objcet) when migrating an application from plain adm2 or

|Dynamics 1.1 to Dynamics 2.

|Any help appreciated,

|Mike

|mike fechner it consulting

|Breite Str. 116

|50667 Köln

|Germany

|Tel.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-40

|Fax.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-41

|Mobil: +49 (0) 160 / 700 82 29

|mike.fechner@fechner.de

|www.fechner.de

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 03:54

Hi Mike,

We converted to V2 without any problem. We added the properties of

datapropcustum.i to the data class. I think adding them to the sdo will work

as well.

What I remember is that I had to restart my session after adding the

properties to the classes.

Frank

Have you tried extending the Data class rather than the SDO class? The

"data_SITE_1511" would be functionally equivalent to the static datacustom

class.

Regards,

Peter

|in our development environment we had several properties defined in the

|properties includefiles in the adm2/custom directory (i.e.

|src/adm2/custom/datapropcustom.i). Now we switched from Dynamics 1.1 to

|Dynamics 2 and I am facing the issue, that these custom properties are

|not yet defined for the object type and in dynamics 2 the function

|prepareInstance in the repository manager is responsible for defining

|the adm-props temp-table rather than the code in the ...props.i files.

|I could add these properties to the default object type but that would

|cause a modification of the original object type definition. Something

|the Dynamics Configuration Utility DCU tried to prevend by adding the

|..._SITE_classes to the repository where changes where made

|to default object types.

|I could create an sdo_SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object type myself as an

|object extending the sdo object type and add my custom attributes to

|that type. I guess that might work, but then these properties would

|only be available for sdos of that object type.

|This would cause issues with the code in my datacustom.p running for

|ALL sdos. I could try to make the code depend on the object type or

|invent a separate super procedure for my sdo objects which would

|require the change of the include file referenced in all my sdos.

|What is the proposed way of dealing with custom object properties (of

|static

|objcet) when migrating an application from plain adm2 or Dynamics 1.1

|to Dynamics 2.

|Any help appreciated,

|Mike

|mike fechner it consulting

|Breite Str. 116

|50667 Köln

|Germany

|Tel.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-40

|Fax.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-41

|Mobil: +49 (0) 160 / 700 82 29

|mike.fechner@fechner.de

|www.fechner.de

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 04:07

Hi Frank,

I guess that would work, but then you have a modified object type definition

in your repository.

We had several changes to the default object types in our dynamics 1.1

environment. The update routines to Dynamics 2 (Dynamics configuration

utility) created _SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object types and moved all

our modified objects to these types as Progress (i.e. Anthony Swindells)

does not recommend changes to the default object types.

Following this approach from progress I am looking for a standard way of

dealing with the custom properties.

Regards,

Mike

Have you tried extending the Data class rather than the SDO class? The

"data_SITE_1511" would be functionally equivalent to the static datacustom

class.

Regards,

Peter

|in our development environment we had several properties defined in the

|properties includefiles in the adm2/custom directory (i.e.

|src/adm2/custom/datapropcustom.i). Now we switched from Dynamics 1.1 to

|Dynamics 2 and I am facing the issue, that these custom properties are

|not yet defined for the object type and in dynamics 2 the function

|prepareInstance in the repository manager is responsible for defining

|the adm-props temp-table rather than the code in the ...props.i files.

|I could add these properties to the default object type but that would

|cause a modification of the original object type definition. Something

|the Dynamics Configuration Utility DCU tried to prevend by adding the

|..._SITE_classes to the repository where changes where made

|to default object types.

|I could create an sdo_SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object type myself as an

|object extending the sdo object type and add my custom attributes to

|that type. I guess that might work, but then these properties would

|only be available for sdos of that object type.

|This would cause issues with the code in my datacustom.p running for

|ALL sdos. I could try to make the code depend on the object type or

|invent a separate super procedure for my sdo objects which would

|require the change of the include file referenced in all my sdos.

|What is the proposed way of dealing with custom object properties (of

|static

|objcet) when migrating an application from plain adm2 or Dynamics 1.1

|to Dynamics 2.

|Any help appreciated,

|Mike

|mike fechner it consulting

|Breite Str. 116

|50667 Köln

|Germany

|Tel.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-40

|Fax.: +49 (0) 221 / 27 609-41

|Mobil: +49 (0) 160 / 700 82 29

|mike.fechner@fechner.de

|www.fechner.de

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 04:21

Hi Mike,

In theory the _SITE_is the way to go - and it should be in practice, too. I am playing around with this a bit. I have manually created a custom class that extends the Data class and have added an attribute to is. It looks like the attribute is in the class TT in the Repository (correct). However, for some reason it looks like this is not in the ADM Props TT - which it should be.

I need to look a bit further into it, and I will log an issue if necessary.

Regards,

Peter

|I guess that would work, but then you have a modified object

|type definition

|in your repository.

|We had several changes to the default object types in our dynamics 1.1

|environment. The update routines to Dynamics 2 (Dynamics configuration

|utility) created _SITE_1511 (our sitecode) object types

|and moved all

|our modified objects to these types as Progress (i.e. Anthony

|Swindells)

|does not recommend changes to the default object types.

|Following this approach from progress I am looking for a

|standard way of

|dealing with the custom properties.

|Regards,

|Mike

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 05:30

Hi Mike,

After some more investigation I have found that the property is in both the Repository class TT and the ADMProps TT. I realised that the Procedure Object Viewer ProTool doesn't necessarily show all of the fields in the ADMProps TT.

If the attributes are correctly defined in the Repository, the ADMProps TT that is constructed by prepareInstance() will be identical to the ADMProps TT constructed statically by the compilation of the *prop.i files into the various objects. Once the TT is constructed, it makes no difference to the ADM how it was constructed.

The structure of the classes in the Repository and in particular the Base class and those classes that inherit from it, should match as closely as possible the ADM2 class structure. This is why I suggested that your custom class extend the Data class and not the SDO class.

Incidentally, in another email Frank Arnold has a good point, although you can run the destroyClassCache() API in the Repository Manager to achieve the same thing without the need to shut the whole sesison down. This API clears the Repository cache and then destroys the dynamic TTs that make up the class cache. These TTs are rebuild as and when the class is requested.

| In progress adm2 changes made in custom files were

|available for all objects and now we strongly depend on the

|object type (for properties at least and super-procedures

|might strongly depend on those properties).

How do these dependencies on the object types work?

|Now I feel like I have to either change the code in

|datacustom.p to check for the object type (and object types

|derived from my custom object type) or change the

|super-procedure of all my sdos.

If there are dependencies on the object type, you can check whether an object belongs to a particular class using instanceOf() API. This is an ADM2 function in smart.p that determines whether an ADM object belongs to a particular class or not. This API allows you to check whether a class inherits from, say, the 'SDO' class even though it actually belongs to the 'sdo_SITE_1511' class.

HTH,

Peter

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 06:04

Hi Peter,

thanks for your remarks. Actually what you we're writing is one of my

suggestions. What I'd like to know now is, if that is the way Progress

proposes or if it just one way to go. If this is the way progress proposes I

expect progress (or all possenet developers) to take care of this in future

versions.

I'd like to know that before I change all my sdos to a data_SITE_1511 oder

sdo_SITE_1511 class.

Regareds,

Mike

After some more investigation I have found that the property is in both the

Repository class TT and the ADMProps TT. I realised that the Procedure

Object Viewer ProTool doesn't necessarily show all of the fields in the

ADMProps TT.

If the attributes are correctly defined in the Repository, the ADMProps TT

that is constructed by prepareInstance() will be identical to the ADMProps

TT constructed statically by the compilation of the *prop.i files into the

various objects. Once the TT is constructed, it makes no difference to the

ADM how it was constructed.

The structure of the classes in the Repository and in particular the Base

class and those classes that inherit from it, should match as closely as

possible the ADM2 class structure. This is why I suggested that your custom

class extend the Data class and not the SDO class.

Incidentally, in another email Frank Arnold has a good point, although you

can run the destroyClassCache() API in the Repository Manager to achieve the

same thing without the need to shut the whole sesison down. This API clears

the Repository cache and then destroys the dynamic TTs that make up the

class cache. These TTs are rebuild as and when the class is requested.

| In progress adm2 changes made in custom files were

|available for all objects and now we strongly depend on the

|object type (for properties at least and super-procedures

|might strongly depend on those properties).

How do these dependencies on the object types work?

|Now I feel like I have to either change the code in

|datacustom.p to check for the object type (and object types

|derived from my custom object type) or change the

|super-procedure of all my sdos.

If there are dependencies on the object type, you can check whether an

object belongs to a particular class using instanceOf() API. This is an

ADM2 function in smart.p that determines whether an ADM object belongs to a

particular class or not. This API allows you to check whether a class

inherits from, say, the 'SDO' class even though it actually belongs to the

'sdo_SITE_1511' class.

HTH,

Peter

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 06:25

Hi Peter,

one thing I have to add: Unfortunately I have to migrate all of my sdos to

sdo_SITE_1511 objects. I can't migrate to data_SITE_1511 as that would cause

a change of the objects code subtype in roundtable which is not possible. So

the theory of deriving the class from the base class is stopped by the

practical roundtable integration and the problem that roundtable does not

support a change of objects code subtypes.

Regards,

Mike

After some more investigation I have found that the property is in both the

Repository class TT and the ADMProps TT. I realised that the Procedure

Object Viewer ProTool doesn't necessarily show all of the fields in the

ADMProps TT.

If the attributes are correctly defined in the Repository, the ADMProps TT

that is constructed by prepareInstance() will be identical to the ADMProps

TT constructed statically by the compilation of the *prop.i files into the

various objects. Once the TT is constructed, it makes no difference to the

ADM how it was constructed.

The structure of the classes in the Repository and in particular the Base

class and those classes that inherit from it, should match as closely as

possible the ADM2 class structure. This is why I suggested that your custom

class extend the Data class and not the SDO class.

Incidentally, in another email Frank Arnold has a good point, although you

can run the destroyClassCache() API in the Repository Manager to achieve the

same thing without the need to shut the whole sesison down. This API clears

the Repository cache and then destroys the dynamic TTs that make up the

class cache. These TTs are rebuild as and when the class is requested.

| In progress adm2 changes made in custom files were

|available for all objects and now we strongly depend on the

|object type (for properties at least and super-procedures

|might strongly depend on those properties).

How do these dependencies on the object types work?

|Now I feel like I have to either change the code in

|datacustom.p to check for the object type (and object types

|derived from my custom object type) or change the

|super-procedure of all my sdos.

If there are dependencies on the object type, you can check whether an

object belongs to a particular class using instanceOf() API. This is an

ADM2 function in smart.p that determines whether an ADM object belongs to a

particular class or not. This API allows you to check whether a class

inherits from, say, the 'SDO' class even though it actually belongs to the

'sdo_SITE_1511' class.

HTH,

Peter

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 06:26

Hi Mike,

I would recommend that your custom attributes are kept in a separate class from the default attributes. This is valid for both new attributes AND attribute values which are specific to your site. For example, you may decide to change RowsToBatch to 50 (instead of the std 200). This attribute value should be set against your custom class.

The reason why a separate, custom class is recommended is because of issues with data deployment. It becomes extremely difficult (if not impossible) to determine which attributes are custom attributes and which are the default values. This problem is compounded when the default attribute values are being changed at the same time (I think I have the broad outlines of this right).

I also think that it is a good idea to keep your custom stuff (code or data) separate from the std Dynamics stuff.

This is the way I would do it, personally. The fact that the DCU creates new classes seems to indicate that this is the Dynamics recommended way.

HTH,

Peter

|thanks for your remarks. Actually what you we're writing is

|one of my suggestions. What I'd like to know now is, if that

|is the way Progress proposes or if it just one way to go. If

|this is the way progress proposes I expect progress (or all

|possenet developers) to take care of this in future versions.

|I'd like to know that before I change all my sdos to a

|data_SITE_1511 oder sdo_SITE_1511 class.

|Regareds,

|Mike

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 06:30

Hi Mike,

To the best of my understanding, the Dynamics Roundtable implementation caters for the _SITE_classes and ensures that you don't have to change code subtypes for these classes. This is why these extended classes are named in this way.

However, I am not the best qualified to answer Roundtable questions and so there is a (very slight ) chance that I am wrong.

HTH,

Peter

|one thing I have to add: Unfortunately I have to migrate all

|of my sdos to sdo_SITE_1511 objects. I can't migrate to

|data_SITE_1511 as that would cause a change of the objects

|code subtype in roundtable which is not possible. So the

|theory of deriving the class from the base class is stopped by

|the practical roundtable integration and the problem that

|roundtable does not support a change of objects code subtypes.

|Regards,

|Mike

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 06:45

Mike/Peter

Having read this thread briefly - I think you guys are missing each

other slightly.

Peter is correct that you should make your customizations in a custom

object type below data, so data_SITE_1511. Because SDO inherits from

data, subclassing data should do the trick I think - Peter, can you

confirm how I subclass within the middle of the class Hierarchy.

If you subclass at this level, you will not need to change any object

types - you can leave them all as SDO.

Regarding Roundtable, you are correct you could not change from sdo to

data, but you should not have to. It is ok however to change to a

different type with siten because this is stripped off to fix the

Roundtable issues, but the first part of the object type must be the

same.

Finally, a utility does exist to move objects from one object type to

another, so if the DCU moved your SDO's to your new subclass, you could

easily move them back with this utility as a batch lot - I believe it is

mentioned in the release notes.

It is quite different how you go about customizing things in V2 than V1.

John Sadd is giving a talk on this very subject at Exchange, and I

expect a whitepaper will also be delivered further clarifying the

Progress prescribed approach.

HTH

Anthony

Anthony D Swindells

Engineering Fellow and Lead Architect for Progress Dynamics

Progress Software Corporation http://www.progress.com

aswindel@progress.com

To the best of my understanding, the Dynamics Roundtable implementation

caters for the _SITE_classes and ensures that you don't

have to change code subtypes for these classes. This is why these

extended classes are named in this way.

However, I am not the best qualified to answer Roundtable questions and

so there is a (very slight ) chance that I am wrong.

HTH,

Peter

|one thing I have to add: Unfortunately I have to migrate all

|of my sdos to sdo_SITE_1511 objects. I can't migrate to

|data_SITE_1511 as that would cause a change of the objects

|code subtype in roundtable which is not possible. So the

|theory of deriving the class from the base class is stopped by

|the practical roundtable integration and the problem that

|roundtable does not support a change of objects code subtypes.

|Regards,

|Mike

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 06:57

Hi Anthony,

I do not have the issue you described at the end. The DCU did not move my

sdos to a new class as the differences in classes were defined in source

code and not in repository object types. I am talking mainly about static

sdos.

So before deciding to what class to move my sdos to is more important than

how to move them there. Maybe to subclassing in the middle of the class

hierarchy might be a chance as well.

Just told of the exchange presentation and white paper. Are there drafts

available of those today?

Thanks,

Mike

To the best of my understanding, the Dynamics Roundtable implementation

caters for the _SITE_classes and ensures that you don't

have to change code subtypes for these classes. This is why these

extended classes are named in this way.

However, I am not the best qualified to answer Roundtable questions and

so there is a (very slight ) chance that I am wrong.

HTH,

Peter

|one thing I have to add: Unfortunately I have to migrate all

|of my sdos to sdo_SITE_1511 objects. I can't migrate to

|data_SITE_1511 as that would cause a change of the objects

|code subtype in roundtable which is not possible. So the

|theory of deriving the class from the base class is stopped by

|the practical roundtable integration and the problem that

|roundtable does not support a change of objects code subtypes.

|Regards,

|Mike

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 07:00

Hi Mike,

| Maybe to subclassing in the middle of the class hierarchy might be a chance as well.

There is nothing to stop you sub-classing anywhere in the class heirarchy. This is what I am doing when I say:

|I have manually created a custom class that extends the

|Data class and have added an attribute to is.

I landed up with a heirarchy that looks like:

- Data

- data_SITE_84

- attributes

- myCustomDataAttribute

- SDO

- DynSDO

If you then add the properties that appear in your datacustprop.i file as attributes under the data_SITE_* then you should be OK, and not need to migrate you SDO objects, since the SDO and dynSDO classes inherit from data_SITE_*.

I had to manually update the "Extends Object Type" field of the dynSDO and SDO classes so that they extended the new data_SITE_* class (rather than the Data class), but that was all I needed to so. Just run destroyClassCache() or restart your session and everything should work fine.

Regards,

Peter

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 27-Jan-2003 07:20

Hi Anthony, Hi Peter,

I guess this will work and it seems like a very practical approach so I

think I will goes this way.

In theory I am not so lucky with that solution as it ends up in custom

attributes in objects of the standard object types. Speaking of deployment I

guess that this way I will be able to deliver sdos with custom attributes to

other repositories that do not know the attributes.

I am really interested in any documentation/instructions from progress about

how to deal with this!

Regards,

Mike