[icf-dev] Erwin

Posted by LegacyUser on 20-Mar-2003 07:14

Hi,

I am using Erwin to develop my database.

But how do I define an index with the descending index parts ?

Best regards,

Martin Bos - mailto:martin.bos@cargomate.com

CargoMate BV - Meerwal 21 B - 3432 ZV - Nieuwegein - NL

tel. +31(0)30-6048811 - fax +31(0)30-6090000 -<http://www.cargomate.com/>

CargoMate - Global Logistics Software Solutions

Bangkok - Dubai - Amsterdam - Miami - San Francisco - Los Angeles

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 20-Mar-2003 07:55

Hi Martin,

Not to directly answer your question about ERWIN.

But if you intend to use any of the Progress Dataservers (Oracle and MSSQL)

then descending elements within an index are not supported.

If you can avoid using them by supplying an inverted key I would do that

instead.

For Integer/Decimal use a sort key defined as decimal or Integer and set

to (0 - Original key).

For Date use a sort key defined as integer and set to

(0 - Int(Original Date field)).

Character keys fields are much more difficult to solve without breaking a

load of internationalisation rules.

Oracle will allow you to access a whole index in either ascending or

descending mode and you can use INDEX-HINTS to control this. MSSQL

Dataserver does not support INDEX-HINTS at the moment.

Regards

David.

David Cassere

Soft Solutions Ltd

Matrix House, Bradford Road,

Wrenthorpe, Wakefield

WF2 0QH, England

Tel: +44 1924 200344 Extn 208 Fax: +44 1924 200418

EMAIL:david@impactxp.com Website:www.impactxp.com

I am using Erwin to develop my database.

But how do I define an index with the descending index parts ?

Best regards,

Martin Bos - mailto:martin.bos@cargomate.com

CargoMate BV - Meerwal 21 B - 3432 ZV - Nieuwegein - NL

tel. +31(0)30-6048811 - fax +31(0)30-6090000

-CargoMate - Global Logistics Software Solutions

Bangkok - Dubai - Amsterdam - Miami - San Francisco - Los Angeles

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 20-Mar-2003 09:02

David,

Thanx for this warning.

I didn't know that.

We have another application running on oracle.

I'll check this.

Martin

I am using Erwin to develop my database.

But how do I define an index with the descending index parts ?

Best regards,

Martin Bos - mailto:martin.bos@cargomate.com

CargoMate BV - Meerwal 21 B - 3432 ZV - Nieuwegein - NL

tel. +31(0)30-6048811 - fax +31(0)30-6090000

-CargoMate - Global Logistics Software Solutions

Bangkok - Dubai - Amsterdam - Miami - San Francisco - Los Angeles

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 26-Mar-2003 02:47

Martin,

To set the descending property of an index field in ERwin, follow these steps:

- Select the physical model

- Select the index in the Progress Index Editor

- Select the field you want set descending in the right selection list (Members Tab)

- Right below the index fields selection list there is toggle-box DESC

Note: I'm using Erwin 3.5.2, possibly the user-interface changed in version 4.

Regards,

Dirk Mouthaan

Caesar Vitalogic

Internet wordt pas leuk als je mee kunt doen. Ga naar http://www.hetnet.nl