[adm2-dev] ADM2 and Dynamics

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Jan-2002 04:39

Hi

I have noticed that the POSSE_20 tag has been put on ADM2 stuff. Does this mean that Dynamics and the ADM2 have been merged together.

Does this mean that the next commercial release (9.1D) will include the merged dynamics code and are there any dependencies in the ADM2 on being connected to the dynamics repository.

I am thinking on writing an app, using the ADM2 and am wondering what the best course of action is.

1. 9.1C ADM2

2. ADM2 (POSSE_20)

3. ADM2 (MAIN)

An explanation of all this would be great and how its all going to work in the future. I am particularly interested in how Dynamics and the ADM2 are going to share the same code base.

Kind Regards

Darren

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Jan-2002 09:01

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Jan-2002 09:10

It is correct that we have added the POSSE_20 flag to the ADM2 code and that

the changes to the ADM2 code in POSSE_20 now support Dynamics.

Having said that, this does not mean that Dynamics is required to make use

of ADM2. It means that we are not spinning off a separate version of ADM2 to

support Dynamics. In other words, any enhancements that are made to ADM2 to

support Dynamics are made to standard ADM2. Obviously this means that there

are features that are added to standard ADM2 that will only be available

when Dynamics is running.

If we separated the two from each other there would be several

unsatidfactory implications:

1) We'd have to maintain code in two places.

2) Some of the benefits that have been applied to ADM2 to support Dynamics

have spilled over into standard ADM2 as well. These would not be available

if we had not merged them.

3) Migration for users that have the desire to move to Dynamics is far

easier if we have the same ADM2 code underlying everything.

And the list goes on. Fear not... we are not forcing you to use Dynamics to

make use of the ADM2 code.

regards,

Bruce

Bruce S Gruenbaum, Principal Software Engineer

the Progress Company

http://www.progress.com

bgruenba@progress.com

I have noticed that the POSSE_20 tag has been put on ADM2 stuff.

Does this mean that Dynamics and the ADM2 have been merged together.

Does this mean that the next commercial release (9.1D) will

include the merged dynamics code and are there any dependencies

in the ADM2 on being connected to the dynamics repository.

I am thinking on writing an app, using the ADM2 and am wondering

what the best course of action is.

1. 9.1C ADM2

2. ADM2 (POSSE_20)

3. ADM2 (MAIN)

An explanation of all this would be great and how its all going

to work in the future. I am particularly interested in how

Dynamics and the ADM2 are going to share the same code base.

Kind Regards

Darren

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Jan-2002 09:14

Hi

Is there a list of stuff which would have changed as far as a standard ADM2 is concerned?

-Darren

I have noticed that the POSSE_20 tag has been put on ADM2 stuff.

Does this mean that Dynamics and the ADM2 have been merged together.

Does this mean that the next commercial release (9.1D) will

include the merged dynamics code and are there any dependencies

in the ADM2 on being connected to the dynamics repository.

I am thinking on writing an app, using the ADM2 and am wondering

what the best course of action is.

1. 9.1C ADM2

2. ADM2 (POSSE_20)

3. ADM2 (MAIN)

An explanation of all this would be great and how its all going

to work in the future. I am particularly interested in how

Dynamics and the ADM2 are going to share the same code base.

Kind Regards

Darren

Posted by LegacyUser on 30-Jan-2002 10:39

At this moment we do not have a list of the most recent ADM2 changes. The

Development group is currently working on improvements in several areas of

ADM2. These changes include performance improvements for a distributed

stateless environment as well as bug fixes. We will be creating a more

specific list in the future documenting these changes. However, since the

development process is still underway, the code is constantly changing at

the moment.

Karen Koberlein

Sr. Product Manager, Dynamics

karenk@progress.com

[...]