[icf-dev] Translations question

Posted by LegacyUser on 13-Mar-2003 03:17

Hi,

I have a need to store and read general translations for texts in Dynamics 2 applicatation (addition to screen translation what is supported in Dynamics).

It would be quite easy to implement this by adding one table for translations but I wanted to first find out what is available in Dynamics.

I found table gsc_language_text in Dynamics repository.

Could this table to be used for own categories and does it have support by Dynamics managers ?

I did not find a documentation for this table from Posse. The table is empty in my repository.

Is there documentation for this table (gsc_language_text) and the mangagers supporting it ?

I think gsm_translation table could also be used for my purpose as it has manager support but looks that gsc_language_text would be better.

Best regards,

-Veli-Matti Korhonen

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 13-Mar-2003 03:26

I think in John Sadd's Programming Handbook you find in section 5-7 the

things you want to know. (The API's are in the Localization Manager)

Regards,

Richard van der Hoek.

Reflecta Automation BV

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 13-Mar-2003 05:37

Hi !

I also read the defination for the table and thats why I thought it is meant for the purpuse I need. Just need a confirmation this is the way to go.

I don't see number of fields to be a performance problem if unecessary fields are empty.

Similar translation table is used in many old characterbased/gui applications. I think it would be better to use just one for all Dynamics applications instead everyone creating their own for their applications.

Regards,

-Veli-Matti

Lähettäjä: "Marcia Bouwman" Päiväys: 2003/03/13 to PM 01:00:36 GMT+02:00

Vastaanottaja: Aihe: RE: RE: Translations question

Hi Veli

The description in Erwin for the gsc_language_text table is:

Totally generic text file for all supported languages. Text's may be

associated with another entity (via owning_obj) or may be simply generic

text of a certain type. Numbers enclosed in are for parameter

substitution.

E.g. Scheme option names, transaction narrations, valid people titles, etc.

A client of ours has a similar table, for performance reasons they created

their own table with less fields in it, which may also be an option for you,

depending on how much translation you are planning to do in your system.

Regards,

Marcia Bouwman

Analyst Programmer

Management Information Planning