[icf-dev] some translation issues

Posted by LegacyUser on 06-Jan-2003 03:54

Hi all.

It seems more and more likely that it will be Dynamics our comany

chooses as the framework for some new Progress apps. However,

there are some issues regarding translation. I will be grateful for any

comments on the following:

1. Option "translate" in dynamic windows works OK, however, there are some

texts hard coded in sources (i. e. in data.p ) - those still cannot be

translated "externally"

and there's still need of using some tools like TranMan. TranMan costs

pretty big bucks,

being in brief just a tool to replace strings in files Is Dynamics ment

to be fully translatable

without any external tools - and should I report a bug on POSSE? Or just

look for a less

expensive translation tool?

2. I could not find any options on how to translate menu items - I

translated them through

repository, manually changing option names, but there must be a better way I

guess?

Any comments, links to any docs related to translation issues will be

welcomely received.

Best regards, all the best for beginning New Year 2003.

Andrzej Olszewski

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 06-Jan-2003 03:59

Hi Andrej,

Menu items are translatable in Dynamics v2, and there should be some documentation on Posse about this.

I would say that if there are hard-coded references in a .P file that needs to be translated then it is a good idea to log an issue on IssueZilla. It may be that nothing is done (for valid readons) but at least you will have a reference and there will usually be comments added to the issue explaining what has been done and why.

HTH,

Peter