[icf-dev] is this an inconsistency?

Posted by LegacyUser on 02-Oct-2002 02:04

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me why all relations with table gsc_entity_mnemonic in ICFDB are made through a character field 'entity_mnemonic' rather than through the entity_mnemonic_obj field? Is there a specific reason for that?

Thanks for any comments (I know it is not a big deal, I am just curiuos).

Regards,

Andrzej Olszewski

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 13:50

This was just done for performance and because once it is allocated, you

can never change it - ever, because so mucy relies on it and there are

so many hard-coded references to it typically in code, plus it is the

basis for prescribed naming conventions for objects that are based on

this table, etc.

IOW - we broke the rules but for some good reasons.

Regards

Anthony

Anthony D Swindells

Lead Architect, Progress Dynamics

Progress Software Corporation

aswindel@progress.com

Can anyone tell me why all relations with table gsc_entity_mnemonic in

ICFDB are made through a character field 'entity_mnemonic' rather than

through the entity_mnemonic_obj field? Is there a specific reason for

that?

Thanks for any comments (I know it is not a big deal, I am just

curiuos).

Regards,

Andrzej Olszewski

This thread is closed