[icf-dev] Dynamics question

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 03:06

Hello,

I have short question about Dynamics.

There are many static tables (cities,countries,postalcodes,professions,nationalities...) in our application which are used for lookups and combos in many different windows.

It would make sence to read those once to client and cache them (offcourse with refresh option).

What would be the recomentated mechanism ?

1. Are dynamic combos and lookups able to use temp-table

on client ?

2. Build functionality somehow to managers and build

own combos which are getting the values from local temp-

table.

3. Other solution...

Any documentation on this?

Best regards,

-Veli-Matti Korhonen

Wonne Oy

Finland

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

All Replies

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 03:24

Hi,

As far as I know the dynamic lookups and combos are already read once on the

client and cached. You would probably not need to do anything extra.

Kind regards,

Marcia Bouwman

Analyst Programmer

Management Information Planning

Tel: 011 803 1281

Fax: 011 807 1732

P O Box 2899

Rivonia

2128

Johannesburg

South Africa

(cities,countries,postalcodes,professions,nationalities...) in our

application which are used for lookups and combos in many different windows.

It would make sence to read those once to client and cache them (offcourse

with refresh option).

What would be the recomentated mechanism ?

1. Are dynamic combos and lookups able to use temp-table

on client ?

2. Build functionality somehow to managers and build

own combos which are getting the values from local temp-

table.

3. Other solution...

Any documentation on this?

Best regards,

-Veli-Matti Korhonen

Wonne Oy

Finland

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

______________________________________

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally

privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If

you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use,

distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also

notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. When

addressed to clients of the company from where this e-mail originates ("the

sending company ") any opinion or advice contained in this e-mail is subject

to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable terms of business or

client engagement letter . The sending company does not accept liability for

any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or from the

accessing of any files attached to this e-mail.

For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@icf.possenet.org

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 04:06

Thanks Marcia,

So if I use same Dynamic lookup or combo in many windows it reads the data from the database only once. Thats very good!

I have a further need and maybe someone could help.

Is there an easy way to change dynamic lookup at runtime on a viewer ?

I am building general filter option for the application reports. In most of the reports user can choose 4 criterias (in first version) from the list of 30 possible (name,usergroup,position,location ...).

After they choose criteria there should be lookups for high and low value for that criteria.

So 1 combo for choosing criteria (f.e. usergroup) and

2 lookups to choose lower and upper limit for the usergroup (f.e from group 3 to group 7).

Is there an easy way to change these 2 lookups after combo value is changed ?

Best regards,

-Veli-Matti

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 04:10

Hi,

Existing dynamic combos and lookups do use temp-tables. They're cached in

the container, not for the session. The next time you launch your

container, you're going to retrieve your combo and lookup data again. It

would probably be relatively easy to update the existing Dynamics code to

check a cache first, if not in cache retrieve from db and cache.

Neil

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 04:11

Hi Veli-Matti,

There is a lot of information in the Dynamic lookup functional spec which is on Possenet.org which will help you with the questions you ask about changing the lookup at runtime - there are standard methods you can use to change the query of lookups based on various other widgets, like other lookups, fill-ins etc. As I mentioned, the document has a lot of information on this, as well as examples, etc.

Regards,

Peter

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 04:55

Peter,

I found a documentation after searching for a moment

"ICF Dynamic Lookups Functional Specification". Is this what you mean ?

I will read it...

Thank you!

-Veli-Matti

[...]

Posted by LegacyUser on 18-Oct-2002 05:56

Hi,

Just to clear up some confusion with regards to the Dynamic lookups and combos.

We currently do NOT cache any data on the client, however this is planned for the future.

Temp-tables are only available from V2 see the SmartDataField Maintenance spec available on POSSENET for more details.

Regards,

  Mark Davies

Senior Analyst Programmer

MIP

Tel: +27 (0)11 803 1281

Fax: +27 (0)11 807 1732

E-Mail: markd@mip.co.za

PO Box 2899, Rivonia, 2128

Johannesburg, South Africa

Avoid people who say they know the answer. Keep the company of people who are trying to understand the question.