Documentation for ADM2 ProdataSet / DataView /

Posted by AlanW3010 on 18-Jul-2007 04:27

There seems to have been a few references in PSC presentations to ADM2 / Dynamics ProDataSets and DataViews going right back to Mr Swindell's presentation "Progress Dynamics on Steroids" at Exchange 2006.

The thing is, I can't find any further references nor any documentation to this.

Does anyone have any pointers to documentation or, failing that, some simple code samples of, say, a DataView talking to a ProDataSet.

Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 20-Jul-2007 12:11

We are working on a white paper that explains the basics of the DataView.

Here's the short version:

The DataView is a new type of data source object that looks similar to the SDO for the visual components, but does not have any server side code and is expecting data to be retrieved and submitted through a Service Provider that you implement. The DataView is not 100% compatible with an SDO. Query methods do for example not allow references to physical data. This is not an issue for visual components that work on logical data and the DataView can be linked as a data source to a Viewer, Browser or SmartSelect.

An ADM2 application that uses DataViews as data sources will issue all data requests to a Service Provider through a Service Adapter. The basic idea is that you hook the Service Adapter up to an OERA compliant Service Provider that you have implemented.

We ship adm2/serviceadapter.p with empty stubs for the two APIs: retrieveData and submitData. There are comments in these stubs that document the parameters.

You can build visual components against ProDataSets as the data source page in the Wizards for Viewers and Browsers allows you to pick an include file with ProDataSet definitions instead of an SDO or SBO.

You assemble applications by dropping dynamic DataViews in SmartContainers and define the data binding in its Instance Property Dialog and then link them to visual components similar to how you would link an SDO. The data binding to the Service Adapter is done by specifying a Business Entity name and table name(s). The Business Entity name is the main identifier that is passed to the Service Adapter and the table is a physical name of a temp-table in the ProDataSet that is expected to be returned from the Service. (So you need a Service Adapter also at assembly time.)

The table you select is defined as the DataView’s DataTable and is the main editable table, you can also define other tables to be part of the DataViews view (read only).

You integrate an ADM2 presentation layer to an OERA compliant Service Provider by mapping the Service Adapter parameters to the Service Interface of your Service Provider. The ADM2 will (kind of) work even if you just pass back a filled ProDataSet, but the retrieveData method has parameters for query and batching that typically also need to work, somewhat depending on the application.

Posted by Admin on 20-Jul-2007 16:14

We are working on a white paper that explains the

basics of the DataView.

Any plan when this white paper will be available? I know a lot of people asking for documentation of any kind on the DataView and the documentation that was provided with 10.1A just mentions whitepapers that should be available on PSDN but in fact are not - until today.

10.1A new features guide links you to:

Web paper: Application Development Environment Enhancements for Release 10.1A

this document links you to:

Further information on DataViews

Further information on DataViews will be provided in the following whitepapers on PSDN:

• Getting Started with DataViews — Kenneth S. McIntosh

• An upcoming whitepaper by Håvard Danielsen

I could not find both documents - and 10.1A is available since almost 18 month now.

I hate to be like that, but it should not be too hard to make a whitepaper and some - working - code samples available.

Mike

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 23-Jul-2007 09:16

> Any plan when this white paper will be available?

I do not know an exact date, but it will be soon. (early August latest)

> Further information on DataViews will be provided in

the following whitepapers on PSDN:

• Getting Started with DataViews — Kenneth S. McIntosh

We had to pull this due to legal issues with the test database. (Don't ask me about details.) This is of course no excuse, just an explanation.

> I hate to be like that, but it should not be too hard

to make a whitepaper and some - working - code

samples available.

You're far too patient. We have tried to make sample code available through support, but I realize that that's not the right channel.

Håvard

Posted by Admin on 02-Aug-2007 20:55

Is the white paper ready ? if yes, kindly provide a link or keyword , thanks.

Posted by Phillip Magnay on 09-Aug-2007 08:34

There are three new whitepapers that Haavard mentioned that have been posted in this area -

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2007 02:53

Thanks ..

Anyway, to my understanding , DataView is going to be depreciated and replaced by GridView in the future release of .Net Framework . I wonder is Progress plan to support GridView in the near future?

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2007 13:50

Hi Cyber, I believe you are misunderstanding something.

The DataView is a non-visual service object, that delivers data to visual ADM2 Smartobjects such as SmartDataBrowsers or SmartDataViewers. Nothing to do with a GridView with is Microsofts Browser replacement in the .NET framework.

Mike

Posted by Admin on 22-Aug-2007 20:44

hi mike, thanks , I just read the white paper and understand that.

This thread is closed