Pre-10.1 JDBC connectivity?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 15-Jun-2006 21:15

The stock 10.1 OE-A can't talk to pre 10.1 PSC db's.

I know it's possible to connect to 10.0* PSC db's using a somewhat-arcane KB, but will the ability to work with 9.1 and following db's using JDBC be a possibility?

All Replies

Posted by Phillip Molly Malone on 15-Jun-2006 22:15

Hi Tim,

Not sure if you could get it to work or not, but it definitely isn't suggested or supported.

HTH

Molly

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Jun-2006 08:16

Philip Malone said:

definitely isn't suggested or supported

So what do you suggest those of use doing legacy work with 9.* - 10.0* db's do?

Posted by Phillip Molly Malone on 16-Jun-2006 09:51

Hi Tim,

The suggestion is that for Database maintenance keep using the tools available in those versions (that is what you were getting at, Database maintenance?).

This doesn't mean that you can't use OpenEdge Achitect for coding (as long as you don't use code that isn't supported in your version).

HTH

Molly

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Jun-2006 09:59

I'm not specifically looking at doing db maint with pre-10.1 PSC db's under OEA since that's not a major component of my work.

I am looking to do all other things OE-A uses the db connection for such as table completion, schema browsing, creating pro-datasets, and the like.

Not having that functionality impairs OE-A's utility to me as a developer.

Posted by jtownsen on 18-Jul-2006 14:36

You should find that you can do that without a JDBC connection. Under the project properties (then OpenEdge -> Connections), you can set up ABL (4GL) connections to databases with all the regular rules (ie. not to V8 DB's).

You should only need the JDBC connection if you want to use the DB Navigator.

HTH,

Jamie

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Jul-2006 14:39

You should only need the JDBC connection if you want to use the DB Navigator.

Unfortunatly, that's what I'm after. The existing ABL db maint tools are still woefully lacking in terms of being able to browse the schema, etc.

Posted by jtownsen on 19-Jul-2006 07:30

Hi Tim,

Sorry for misunderstanding, I was focusing on:

I am looking to do all other things OE-A uses the db connection for such as table completion, schema browsing, creating pro-datasets, and the like.

...which you can of course do without the JDBC connections.

Something that I've just tried quickly (and it seems to work okay) is to install 9.1E on my machine and use the JDBC driver from there. Here are some of the things I had to do:

- add a new JDBC driver to OpenEdge Architect

- "Window" -> "Preferences" -> "OpenEdge" -> "DB Navigator" -> "JDBC Drivers"

- click "Add"

- enter the details:

- Name: "Progress 9.1E JDBC Driver"

- Example URL: "jdbc:jdbcprogress:T:"

- On the "Extra Class Path" Tab:

- click "Add": "%DLC(v91e!)%\java\jdbc.jar"

- select Driver Class Name = "com.progress.sql.jdbc.JdbcProgressDriver"

- You should now see "Progress 9.1E JDBC Driver" (with a tick) in the list of JDBC Drivers

- from the DB Navigator's Connections window

- create a new Connection Profile

- Name: "sports2000-91e"

- Driver: "Progress 9.1E JDBC Driver"

- URL: "jdbc:jdbcprogress:T:localhost:9876:sports2000"

- User Name: ""

- Password: ""

- Pressing "Test Connection" will show you that this doesn't work yet!! Here's the catch...

- Add the "%DLC(V91e!)%\bin" directory to your PATH before starting OpenEdge Architect (Reference 9.1E README.WRI - "Merant JDBC driver needs $DLC/bin")

Although this last step inherently worries me somewhat, it doesn't seem to upset everything else.

Of course, non of this would be officially supported (jada, jada, etc, etc) and I doubt you'd get it to work with multiple V9 versions 'cos of the set DLC step.

HTH,

Jamie

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 19-Jul-2006 12:31

I may not've been as clear as I could've - I'm looking to use the schema navigation code, but I'm not intending to do schema maint with the older db versions.

I've found the jdbc driver in my 9.1* installation, but havn't gotten around to verifying that everything actually works. I just wish that PSC had included those drives with OEA...

Thanks for the pointers!

Posted by Admin on 24-Jul-2006 10:07

Okay, but what happens if I want to connect to Progress 73E from a Java Program?

Does anybody have any Java source code?

Urgent!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 24-Jul-2006 10:17

I'd say upgrade your platform to a version of Progress that you can get JDBC drivers for.

7.3E is a seriously old and unsupported platform.

This thread is closed