Visual SourceSafe 2005 plugin for OEA?

Posted by Admin on 15-Dec-2006 11:13

I would like to find a plugin for OEA that will allow me to use Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 2005 for source control. Some of you might say that using VSS is my first mistake, but I don't have a choice.

I've found what appear to be two possibilities so far:

VSS Plugin for Eclipse

SourceAnyWhere Plugin for Eclipse

My problem is that I've been unable to get either of them to work with OEA 10.1A. I copy the files to the %DLC%\oeide\eclipse\plugins directory and restart OEA and none of the menus appear and the plugins don't show up in Help->About OEA->Plug-in Details.

As a sanity test I downloaded Eclipse SDK 3.2 and tried them there and they at least show up in the IDE (I haven't checked functionality yet...)

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have experience with these plugins in OEA, and if they worked can you please give me some pointers?

Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Dec-2006 11:43

It is possible that the plugin has dependencies which are not fulfilled in the OEA distribution, but which are fulfilled in the standard distribution. You could compare what is installed in both or you could add the OEA extensions to the standard distribution.

Or, you could switch source control tools.

Posted by jmls on 15-Dec-2006 12:02

subversion is great

Posted by Admin on 15-Dec-2006 13:07

Did you install the "Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider" http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=87E1FFBD-A484-4C3A-8776-D560AB1E6198&displaylang=en?

Posted by Admin on 15-Dec-2006 15:28

Theo:

Visual SourceSafe 2005 was installed on the computer with OEA.

I don't think that was the dependency though, at least as far as getting the plugin to appear in the IDE. When I tried on another computer with Eclipse SDK 3.2 the plugins would load and their menus display even though VSS was not installed on that computer.

Thomas and Julian:

I've used Subversion elsewhere and I really like it, but for various reasons it almost certainly will not be an option for what I need now.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 15-Dec-2006 15:38

Which brings one back to the possibility of dependencies.

Posted by Admin on 15-Dec-2006 15:44

Theo:

Visual SourceSafe 2005 was installed on the computer

with OEA.

Sorry, I was wrong: you are talking about Visual Source Safe2005 and I thought you wrote about the new VS.2005 Team System Source Control. The plugin is for the latter...

Posted by Admin on 15-Dec-2006 18:16

I would check in a couple of places to see if there is any information that eclipse gives you about what it sees.

First check in Help->Software Updates->Manage Configuration. See if eclipse shows the feature that you are trying to install. If it shows up, check the status to see what eclipse says about it.

If nothing shows up there check in in your workspace directory for .metdata/.log file. Eclipse will display any error messages about not/loading plugins.

Since Eclipse 3.2 has been out for a while it may be possible that the version you downloaded only works with Eclipse 3.2. It seems like a good indication that since the menu options show up in Eclipse 3.2 and not 3.1 that this might be the problem.

See if you can dig up a previous version that works with Eclipse 3.1

Posted by Admin on 18-Dec-2006 14:27

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've had no luck so far.

Matt:

Plugin doesn't appear in Help>Software Updates>Manage Configuration

No clues in .metadata/.log

I don't see versions of these plugins mentioned as being specific to a version of Eclipse.

Thomas:

Working on the dependency angle, yes sir.

On another computer I installed an older Eclipse 3.1.1 and JRE 1.4.2. I uninstalled JRE 1.5 just to make sure it wasn't interfering, and put Eclipse 3.1.1 in a different directory with different workspace.

With Eclipse 3.1.1 and JRE 1.4.2 the VSS plugins work just fine. But of course in OEA 10.1A which (I think) is based on similar Eclipse and JRE they still don't work.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Dec-2006 14:32

Focus on the dependencies. The OEA distribution of Eclipse has fewer components than the standard Eclipse distribution. If nothing else, just compare them and add in the missing pieces to the OEA distribution until it starts to work.

Easier might be to add the OEA pieces to a standard Eclipse distribution.

Posted by Admin on 18-Dec-2006 15:46

David,

The Eclipse version that we ship is the standard Eclipse Platform release. We don't ship the full SDK which includes the JDT as well as the source code for everything.

I grabbed a copy of the VSS plugins from source safe. It has a dependency on the JDT.

I just downloaded the source anywhere trial as well. It also has a dependency on JDT.

Message was edited by:

Matt Baker

Posted by Admin on 18-Dec-2006 16:07

Matt:

That sounds promising...maybe.

I'm pretty new to OEA so your answer leads directly to my next questions.

Is there a way to add JDT to the stock OEA?

Or do I have to go the other direction and copy the OE related plugins to a full Eclipse SDK version? I saw another thread that talked about doing that, but it sounded kind of hairy with some Java decompiling/hacking going on to make it all work.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Dec-2006 12:05

Use the regular Eclipse update.

Posted by Admin on 19-Dec-2006 15:32

Matt and Thomas:

Thanks! The VSS plugins are now working.

Under Help>Software Updates>Find and Install I searched for new features to install. Select the Eclipse.org update site and click Finish.

Select a mirror to retrieve the content from.

Expand the tree under Eclipse.org update site and you will see a number of updates you can select to install. I was a little unsure, but the 3.0.2 update looked very promising (mentioned SDK) so I selected it to install.

Took a while to download everything but once installed I restarted OEA and the plugin menus appeared. I tested the SourceAnyWhere plugin by creating a repository and checking files in and out and it is working great.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Dec-2006 16:10

Glad to hear it!

This thread is closed