Multiple versions

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Jan-2007 17:07

KB Entry P121636 ( http://tinyurl.com/2ezorr ) indicates that it is possible to specify a different Progress version in Run Configuration dialog.

Is this specification global, attached to the Workspace or Project, or what?

Is this configuration used for compilation as well?

I.e., does this in any way support the use of prior versions within the context of a 10.1B OEA?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 16-Jan-2007 21:53

In 10.1B only the Run Configurations support changing the OpenEdge version. This means that you cannot change it at the project level. All projects use the installed version of OpenEdge.

Run Configurations are stored at the workspace level and share nothing with projects. I suggest poking through the online help to read more about it.

OA Proposal20101210.doc

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Jan-2007 11:39

So, if a run configuration is stored at the workspace level, does this mean that I could have a 9.1E workspace and a 10.1B workspace?

OA Proposal20101210.doc

Posted by Admin on 17-Jan-2007 12:41

You really need to read the documentation and understand what Run Configurations are.

In short, a Run Configuration (also called launch Configurations elsewhere in the Eclipse world) is a setup of a particular environment in which Eclipse stores all the parameters for you and launches something when you request it. In the case of OpenEdge Architect run configurations allow you to setup an ABL session by providing startup parameters, database connections, propath info and so on. This is independent of any project settings. The idea being you can develop in one environment, but still be able to setup and launch a full testing environment that would emulate a full run of your application (vs. running the current .p).

So in answer to your question, yes and no. You can use anything selectable from the run configurations dialog as part of a launch configuration in any workspace. Since each one is independent, you can use any installed version in any workspace.

For anyone reading this thread, the run configuration dialog can be found from the drop-down selection of the green run button.

OA Proposal20101210.doc

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Jan-2007 12:51

So, apropos the other thread about how to use workspaces and projects, one of the things one might want to do is to have a workspace per version?

But, does this impact which version is used to compile the code? I.e., am I doing syntax checking and compiling in 10.1B, since that is what my version of OEA is, but this allows me to run the code in 9.1E ... although I obviously couldn't use the .r code from the OEA compile. Yes?

OA Proposal20101210.doc

This thread is closed