Trouble accessing keyword help in OE Architect

Posted by Steve Croff on 08-May-2007 17:16

I am having trouble getting Progress keyword help to display in Eclipse. When I highlight a keyword and use Shift-F2, the keyword help view opens and displays this:

Progress Help

Right-click over a statement --> Keyword Help to see the Language Reference definition.

If you're not seeing help then make sure the "com.openedge.pdt.help" Progress Help plugin is installed.

Strangely, this was working fine a couple of days ago, but now I've somehow broken this? I'm trying to locate where the plugins are managed.

Any help appreciated... Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 09-May-2007 01:38

this is a constant source of irritation. Sometimes if you press refresh then the contents appear. Most times it's simply easier to paste the keyword into a 4GL procedure editor and do the keyword help from there.

Posted by Admin on 10-May-2007 21:25

It looks like a BUG relating to focus and refreshing the view.

I'm using OE10.1B SP1, Java 1.6 SP1, Eclipse 3.3 Build id: I20070323-1616 full SDK with GEF, EMF ++ - so it's not a standard OE environment.

To Reproduce:

(1) Hide the Keyword Help View and then use Shift-F2, the view will be shown and the right keyword help displayed.

(2) Move your cursor to another keyword and use Shift-F2, the view doesn't refresh with the new keyword.

Workarounds:

(Option 1) Click on the Keyword Help View before subsequent uses of Shift-F2. This seems to work and highlights the focus/refresh problem.

(Option 2 - better in my opinion) Turn the Keyword Help View into a FASTVIEW. Repeated uses of Shift-F2 will show the Keyword Help View correctly, as it hides when focus is changed.

An extra tip - you can change the orientation of the FastView to Horizontal by right-clicking on the fastview icon in the toolbar, selecting Orientation -> Horizontal.

Regards

Paul Petersen.

Posted by dbulua on 16-May-2007 03:55

When you press Shift-F2, it automatically opens the Keyword Help View and makes it the active View. You will notice that the tab for the editor is no longer highlighted but the cursor is still visible within the editor. If you now right-click in the editor, you will notice that the Accelerators are no longer displayed for the Keyword Help (and a few others). The problem is that focus somehow remains in the editor without it being active.

The workaround you mentioned puts the focus back to the editor and makes the editor active. You could also have clicked on the editor tab before selecting the Shift-F2.

Paul, I love the fast-view workaround.

This thread is closed