OE Architect on Linux

Posted by ChUIMonster on 06-Jul-2007 06:38

Is there a technical reason why OE Architect doesn't run on Linux?

I don't see how there could be. Nor why there should be.

There is a current thread on PEG describing how to install it (which really isn't very magical) but someone has apparently gone to some trouble to detect that OEA is running on Linux resulting in "Not licensed to run OpenEdge Architect for version: 10.1B".

Clearly the Windows GUI builder stuff is utterly useless (and of no interest in any event) but even us lowly ChUI programmers can obviously benefit from many of the other features of OE Architect.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2007 10:38

Linux Desktop was one of the things mentioned under "thinking about" in the ABL Info Exchange this year. I think that is actually a Linux client.

Posted by Admin on 06-Jul-2007 10:59

I believe, we should have two separate threads here.

I guess the initial post on peg and Toms post here are related to the OpenEdge Architect in it's current (10.1B) functionality. The question was if it would be possible to have that product (OpenEdge projects, ABL editor, DB Navigator, etc.) running on a Linux (development) desktop. I guess there is a high demand by

- ChUI developers

- WebSpeed developers

- DBA

From an outside view, it looks like there's no reason, besides simply supporting it, to not do so. But this question can only be answered by PSC directly.

If the term "Linux desktop" wakes the hopes of others for a native Progress UI on Linux, I'd suggest a separate thread as I expect this to be a fairly larger project for Progress. I personally don't see a demand for this -today- and in the near future. But I know others think different.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2007 11:09

You are correct that we shouldn't hijack this thread to talk about Linux desktop. I only mentioned it because, if and when it happens, it seems likely that OEA would be available in all its glory too.

But, Tom is quite right that there is no good reason not to have OEA available for Linux today for anything other than Windows GUI work. I suppose that there might be someone who thinks they shouldn't pay the full price then, but I think as long as it is clear what it will and wont do, there would be some takers.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 12-Jul-2007 06:44

I was kind of hoping that a technical answer might have been offered by someone from PSC by now...

Silence is taken as confirmation of the supposition that there is no technical barrier

Denial will, of course, be taken as evidence that the poster has transferred to marketing ...

Posted by gus on 12-Jul-2007 06:55

There isn't.

-gus

Posted by Admin on 14-Jul-2007 12:24

See my ERS ReqId: 0000003407 entered May'06...

It's an active request with 6 full votes!!!!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Jul-2007 10:37

Silence is taken as confirmation of the supposition

that there is no technical barrier

Denial will, of course, be taken as evidence that the

poster has transferred to marketing ...

LOL!

This thread is closed