Compile based on working set

Posted by Admin on 06-Aug-2007 09:23

Hi, I'd like to submit a request for a feature in OpenEdge Architect to the ERS, but I'd like to hear what others think of it before:

Working sets are a great way in Eclipse to organize large projects. One could have a working set for each module or separate framework code, frontend code, business logic...

Working sets can be used as the scope for the file search, as a filter for the problems view.

I'd like to be able to use working sets also when compiling the parts of the project.

Even though it's possible to filter the resources view on working sets, this does not have any effect when selecting "OpenEdge -> Compile". This always compiles the selected resources or the whole project - depending on your selection.

Would I get any votes on this in the ERS?

Mike

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Aug-2007 11:04

Sounds sensible to me. For many years I have done this by creating files with a .cl extension contain8ing lists of related compilable modules which my compile tool would process as an alternative to compiling individual programs. Very handy.

Posted by Admin on 06-Aug-2007 12:14

I logged this as no 0000003639 in the ERS (www.progress.com/ers)

Posted by Admin on 16-Aug-2007 20:41

Now that I'm also using .NET, I have got used to building the whole project to get a change into the exe.

Although we can't use it for much or our system, the right mouse click on a folder will compile it and the sub-directories - that works if you have a well modularized system ;-).

Working sets in eclipse are great in our case as you can focus in on the programs you are changing (support, enhancement, new development) - we currently have a large amount of source in one directory ;-(

Using the incremental build is useful except for changes to include files that are included into many programs. This is where you need two things - impact analysis tools to build the list or Working Set and then the ability to compile the list.

Anyway whatever the use-case I think compile on working sets would be cool.

Regards

Paul Petersen

Posted by Admin on 16-Aug-2007 23:40

Hi Paul,

Now that I'm also using .NET, I have got used to

building the whole project to get a change into the

exe.

well, I've got two comments here:

1.) Compiling even a large Visual Studio .NET project is usually many times faster than compiling a large Progress Application. So the scope of the compile is not that important. I personally never had to wait for an hour before a VS.NET compile was completed.

2.) I usually structure VS projects in solutions consisting of many projects. So there are many situations where a change of a bit of code does only require the recompile of one of the projects - usually generating an dll type assembly.

The smallest project is holding the exe file and usually does not change, once it's at a certain level.

Anyway, you can't really compare the way VS.NET builds the application and progress builds is. VS.NET needs to build dll and exe files in order to run and debug the app. That would be as if progress would need to run from procedure libraries. I guess not many people use procedure libraries from within the development environment - which would require more complex operations during the build from the IDE.

Anyway whatever the use-case I think compile on

working sets would be cool.

Thanks! Please add a vote for me

Mike

This thread is closed