Catching OEA events in ABL code

Posted by vjug on 14-Nov-2007 06:01

Is there any way to catch events from OEA (such as View resize, View close, ...) in ABL programs hosted in OEA?

All Replies

Posted by jankeir on 14-Nov-2007 06:58

I don't think so. As far as I know all communiction between Eclipse and the ABL session is done through the server.p procedure I mentioned in http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?threadID=6087&tstart=0 so if any event fires you should be able to detect it in that procedure.

But this really is unsupported, I wouldn't play with that too much if it's not really essential. And if you really need it, I'd suggest posting a use-case here and enter a request in the Enhancement request system if it's not already there.

Posted by Admin on 14-Nov-2007 07:14

I agree with Jan. I have succeeded resizing en embedded window whenever the user clicks into it. Not nice, but better than absolutely no resizing.

Posted by aswindel on 14-Nov-2007 07:24

Thanks for the feedback guys. Very interested to understand what events / hooks you need in OEA - along with supporting use cases as to what you intend to do with them. The more we understand about the ways people need to customize and extend OEA the easier it will be for ut to provide the right customization and extenion points in future releases. Ant.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Nov-2007 11:24

Certainly a key use case is the ability to run an ABL application, e.g., ProLint, on the current editor window.

Posted by jankeir on 15-Nov-2007 02:36

Hello Anthony,

We've got protools do to a lot of things and to look up a lot of things. Eg. we can configure our software delivery system to deliver .p/.w's to specific platforms, we can determine include and database table usage, we configure the contents of .pl's programatically, we've even got a protool to dial a specific user (immeditaley showing if he's in the company and if not, an overview of his holiday so we know when to call back) using our IP phones,...

In appBuilder it's OK for these to be seperate windows, because that's how appBuilder works.

However in Eclipse you've got the eclipse window, and everything is really supposed to be in a view to be manageable. If we open our protools and click on the eclipse window we can no-longer see the protool. It would be great if the protools could look like real eclipse views, with resizing and everything.

It's not absolutely essential as the seperate windows do work, but I think it would actually be quite easy to add a little more code to server.p to allow this. I've not investigated it to the bone and it's been a while, but I think all you'd need to do is passing the resizing information from the eclipse view to server.p over the TCP/IP connection and publish an event from there. As it's been a while since I looked at it I may be forgetting something here.

Posted by Admin on 15-Nov-2007 03:25

That's also the result of my investigation. I startet rewriting some protools (i.e. the persistent procedure viewer) at Eclipse views. But the resizing doesn't make it that nicely. An event from the View to the AVM Window would be nice. Don't care if that would be the actual window resized or an U1 style event.

Mike

This thread is closed