Upgrading Eclipse configurations with new OEA versions

Posted by rbf on 25-Mar-2008 03:31

I have now many times installed OE 10.1A, 10.1B and 10.1C (including beta versions) on the same machine and every time I need to configure Eclipse again (for example add the appropriate WST plugin).

Is there a way to migrate/upgrade existing Eclipse installations with new OEA versions and what are peoples experiences with this?

All Replies

Posted by jankeir on 25-Mar-2008 03:39

I believe Anthony Swindells' paper describes how to do it. http://www.psdn.com/library/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=1173&externalID=3778&fromSearchPage=true

Basically you have to point an eclipse installation outside of DLC to $DLC\oeide\...

Other than for quick testing purposes I haven't done it myself so I can't comment on how well it works in a production environment.

Posted by rbf on 25-Mar-2008 03:56

I have tried it and besides the fact that it is about a whole day of work it works only for a particular OE version (I believe the document you are referring to is for 10.1B and does not work for 10.1C because of a difference in Eclipse versions).

So my whole point is: after you have done all that work for 10.1B, how do you upgrade it to 10.1C (which uses a higher Eclipse version)?

It would be really helpful if OE did not install Eclipse in $DLC but asked for a location by default. Subsequently OE should IMHO be able to upgrade it with new versions.

I think the lack of support/attention for this really slows down the adoption of OEA.

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Mar-2008 09:46

Hi Peter,

I install all my plugins into a common area (something like c:/eclipse/extensions) which Eclipse calls an extension location, and which I share between all my OEA (and other Eclipse) installs, ranging from 10.1A to 10.2A. Whenever I install a new DLC, I simply add my extension location to OEA and restart Eclipse. I then see all my 3rd party plugins.

When installing a plugin, there's an option to install to another location. I select that for all my plugins (so I install nothing into DLC).

Then, when I install another version of OEA, I add the extension location to the new install, using Software Updates/Manage Configuration.

This works very well for me (and has for a number of versions of OEA and Eclipse). You will probably have to install all your plugins once more - into the extension location - but then that's it.

In addition, you can have any number of extension locations, for cases where a plugin is only supported by a certain version of Eclipse.

hth

-- peter

Posted by rbf on 25-Mar-2008 10:01

That seems to be what I am looking for. I am going to try it!

Thanks,

-peter

Posted by rbf on 13-Apr-2008 15:01

I have got this working now. There is one little catch in that you have to select all features in the package when you change the location, but then it works like a charm!

This thread is closed