Which Eclipse packages / versions to use with OpenEdge Archi

Posted by Torben on 08-Oct-2007 05:48

I've read the paper from Anthony Swindells (great stuff) and have downloaded the 3.2.2 Eclipse SDK packages he recommended an installed them.

This works fine!

But now I'm wondering what is the minimum Eclipse installation I can make to get the OpenEdge plugins to work without any problems?

What are the version to install not to get problems?

Thanks for response

Torben

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 09-Oct-2007 03:05

I am currently running Europa (3.3.1) and everything works except for the debugger perspective. It throws an error when attempting to open:

Problems opening perspective 'com.openedge.pdt.debug.OEDebugPerspective'.

No such file exists, so I suspect it is something internal. Not critical for me, though.. Certain things seem to behave better, although that may be Eclipse and not Progress related..

Posted by Torben on 13-Oct-2007 00:02

I've tried with 3.3.? some weeks back but got some dependency issues in the OE components.

Something about wrong versions/format!

Regards,

Torben

Posted by Torben on 13-Oct-2007 04:13

I've just installed Eclipse 3.3 Europa and I can see I get a 500 Kb .log file in .metadata under my workspace on startup with errros and warnings:

First error/warning is:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2007-10-13 12:03:24.312
!MESSAGE A handler conflict occurred. This may disable some commands.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2007-10-13 12:03:24.312
!MESSAGE Conflict for 'com.openedge.pdt.text.editor.actions.compilefile':
HandlerActivation(commandId=com.openedge.pdt.text.editor.actions.compilefile,
handler=com.openedge.pdt.text.actions.editor.CompileEditorFile,
expression=,sourcePriority=0)
HandlerActivation(commandId=com.openedge.pdt.text.editor.actions.compilefile,
handler=com.openedge.pdt.text.actions.editor.CompileEditorFile,
expression=,sourcePriority=0)

Most of them being of type:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2007-10-13 12:03:26.812
!MESSAGE The proxied handler was the wrong class
!STACK 0
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.openedge.pdt.text.actions.resource.RestartProgress cannot be cast to org.eclipse.core.commands.IHandler

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2007-10-13 12:03:26.843
!MESSAGE The proxied handler was the wrong class
!STACK 0
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.openedge.pdt.text.actions.resource.ProcEditor cannot be cast to org.eclipse.core.commands.IHandler

etc...

And this is on an empty workspace - so I would think this would be realy serious on workspace with actual projects!?

Regards,
Torben

Posted by kevin_saunders on 15-Oct-2007 03:29

The dependency issues can be solved by selecting the 'Europa Discovery Site' at the same time as selecting OE Architect. Then, when the message pops up about the required dependencies (after selecting Architect), there is a button on the right - 'Select Required' or something like that, which will then search Europa Discovery for the required bits.

Posted by kevin_saunders on 15-Oct-2007 03:42

And this is on an empty workspace - so I would

think this would be realy serious on workspace with

actual projects!?

Regards,
Torben

I have the same errors, which is probably why this configuration is not supported by PSC.

Some of the errors in the log (like StripAppBuilder) have not broken the functions in Eclipse, so I am not sure how critical they are. I only got this to work about 2 weeks back, but have not done much development with it (too many other things at the moment). For the parts I have done, I have not seen any runtime errors, except for the debugger, which I mentioned previously.

The reason I am going this route is Aptana will not work with Architect (errors either during the install, or at runtime, depending on which install method I use).

Posted by wenyu on 24-Dec-2007 06:03

Where is this paper?

Many thanks,

Wenyu

Posted by Admin on 21-Jan-2008 12:46

I have successfully installed Europa (Eclipse 3.3.1) with OpenEdge Architect and have not been able to get the debugger to work as well. I was wondering if anyone has heard or seen a fix for this as of yet. Yes? No? Maybe soon?

I get the same error when opening the debugger in Europa:

Problems opening perspective:

'com.openedge.pdt.debug.OEDebugPerspective'

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Jan-2008 13:10

My inquiries along this line have been answered with 3.2 is the supported release ... I wouldn't expect support for 3.3 until that happens to be the base for some future OE release.

Posted by Admin on 21-Jan-2008 14:35

Well, this is not the solution (com'on Progress!), but I got a little further with using the debugger in Europa by simply copying a couple of .jar files from the original eclipse install that came with OpenEdge Architect (10.1B) and simply pasted them in the 3.3.1 Eclipse plugins directory.

Here is what I did...

Get out of Eclipse completely.

I copied from my C:\PROGRESS\OpenEdge\oeide\eclipse\plugins, the following:

org.eclipse.debug.ui_3.2.0.v20060605.jar

org.eclipse.debug.core_3.2.0.v20060605.jar

to the following plugins directory that I happened to use when installing Europa:

C:\eclipse\eclipse331\eclipse\plugins

And you have to rename the 3.3.1 versions in the same directory for two reasons:

1) For safekeeping

2) So that when Eclipse starts it will not find the expected 3.3.1 version which will override the 3.2 versions from my original install.

Start the Eclipse 3.3.1 install and pull up some code. Start debug mode (proDebugEnable) and your running.

It should be noted that this hack does not guarantee complete success, but atleast you are a little further down the road.

Finally, this is in essence rolling back debugger functionality (for Eclipse, not OEA) in 3.3.1 to a 3.2 state. Who knows what strangeness can arise from this combination, but with rollback installations it should not have you down for the count.

I am running OpenEdge 10.1B03 with Eclipse 3.3.1 Europa.

Message was edited by:

Stephen Poates

Posted by jtownsen on 22-Jan-2008 12:56

You should be able to achieve the same result by disabling the debugger 3.3.1 plugs in the Eclipse Product Configuration (Help -> Software Updates -> Manage Configuration). Pick the appropriate plugin directory, then the debugger plugins and select Disable. This will allow you to leave all the files in place if you want to use the Europa installation for other projects.

Like you said though, it might well introduce some other weirdness.

Posted by Admin on 23-Jan-2008 02:02

Would that meen, that I have to enable/disable these plugin versions every time I use them or is that stored per workspace?

Another question, Is it possible to link an Eclipse Europa installation with two separate OpenEdge Architect releases? 10.1B and 10.2A? I've helped myself right now by having two installations of Eclipse. Just wondering if there's a more economic solution.

Mike

Posted by jtownsen on 23-Jan-2008 12:27

Yes, you could use 10.1B & 10.2A (when it becomes available ) with one single Eclipse installation. These settings are not stored per workspace, but different configurations can be specified on the command line.

For more information, take a look at the "-configuration" option here: http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html

That said, I haven't had a great deal of success getting this to work. The problem happens regardless of whether any OEA plugins are in use or not, so it's an Eclipse issue.

What definitely does work is to go into the Production Configuration and select "revert to previous". This is a little less cumbersome than enabling and disabling all the plugins individually.

Posted by Admin on 16-Apr-2008 19:23

There is another way I have found to use Europa, OE10.1BSP3 and the Debugger.

Make you own copy of the $DLC101B03\oeide\architect directory eg C:\myoeide\architect.

Remove the com.openedge.pdt.debug.ui_10.1.1.03 and replace it with the com.openedge.pdt.debug.ui_10.1.1.00 version.

Change the ..\features\com.openedge.pdt_10.1.1.03\features.xml file to reference the earlier plugin version.

In your Europa Eclipse environment C:\eclipse\eclipse331\eclipse, create a \links directory and add a link file to point to your modified architect version ie C:\myoeide\architect. To ensure you have the plugins needed to support it create a link file to point to the $DLC101B03\oeide\eclipse directory. Don't forget to ensure you have the .eclipseextension file in there and remove the now redundant $DLC101B03\oeide\eclipse\links directory.

I haven't tried E3.3+ with 10.1C yet.

Regards

Paul Petersen

This thread is closed