OE Architect & Roundtable

Posted by aspotti on 29-Aug-2008 03:18

I'm implementing a demo installation to use OE Architect & Roundtable.

The environment is already set up, the plug-in is installed, but actually my concerns are more architectural and about usability then installing issues.

This demo is held on a Virtual Machine with MS-Win Server 2003, Roundtable for 10.1B, OE 10.1BSP3 and finally OE Architect.

Users have to connect to this VM through a Remote Desktop Connection, so my questions are:

1) Any issues about launching different OE architect session per user on the same VM?

2) Any issues with Roundtable?

thanks a lot,

Alex

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 29-Aug-2008 03:40

1) Any issues about launching different OE architect

session per user on the same VM?

Not that I'm aware of. Have done that sucessfully.

Just be aware of, that the same workspace (that's where Eclipse stores it's configuration) can only be used by one user at the same time. So your developers need individual workspaces (by default it's in their profile folders).

Posted by aspotti on 29-Aug-2008 04:05

Hi Mike,

do you have any doc to implement the integration between OE Architect & Roundtable?

Another question:

are there any scripts to configure the working "workspace" for any users logging in?.

Thanks

Posted by Admin on 29-Aug-2008 05:04

Hi Mike,

do you have any doc to implement the integration

between OE Architect & Roundtable?

No. I'm not a Roundtable user myself. Have seen a lot of presentations about their OpenEdge Architect plugin - looks promising! You should check with their support for an installation instruction. It requires downloading the plugin using the software update manager from Eclipse (Help - Software Updates - Find and Install...). All you should need is the right URL for the download.

Another question:

are there any scripts to configure the working

"workspace" for any users logging in?.

The workspace is basically a directory containing the .metadata subfolder. It's selected when the user opens Eclipse/OpenEdge Archtict. You can preselect the workspace by adding the -data to your OpenEdge Architect or OpenEdge Architect Clean Shortcut.

Similar to:

c:\Progress\OpenEdge101C\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showlocation -clean -vm "c:\Progress\OpenEdge101C\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -data c:\Workspaces\User1

or

c:\Progress\OpenEdge101C\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showlocation -clean -vm "c:\Progress\OpenEdge101C\jre\bin\javaw.exe" -data c:\Workspaces\User2

Posted by asthomas on 29-Aug-2008 05:31

Hi Allessandro,

As you already have the plug-in installed, you can access the documentation for this from the OpenEdge Architect Help. The RTB documentation is available from there as well.

Setting up RTB and OEA is also described in the installation documentation that you can find at : http://www.tugboatsoftware.com/roundtable-library

As Mike mentioned, you should not have multiple users using the same Eclsipe workspace at the same time. I would recommend that each user have their own workspace, with their own projects defined (linked to RTB workspaces). This is how Eclipse is designed to work and where it differs from the way you may be used to working in the past with Progress and Roundtable.

HTH - let me know if you need any additional information. You are also welcome to contact RTB support either through the website or by using support-europe@roundtable-tsms.com (Europe) or support@roundtable-tsms.com (US and the rest of the world).

Regards

Thomas Hansen

appSolutions a/s

This thread is closed