OE Studio to Architect issues and tips

Posted by john on 15-Sep-2008 06:24

One of the continuing threads in our discussions with customers about how they are adopting OpenEdge Architect and the issues they face, is questions about how to migrate a code base developed in OE Studio to Architect, and how to adapt development practices from the AppBuilder and Procedure Editor to Architect. This includes how to continue to maintain user interface .w's developed with the AppBuilder's design window, and how to maintain SmartObject-based applications. I'm starting this thread to collect together those issues (some have been touched on in other threads) and tips on how best to deal with them. Your feedback is encouraged. We'll post messages ourselves reflecting the experiences and ideas of some of the customers we've had conversations with, and who we continue to talk to. This will all help identify how best to extend this area of product support, and how best to document the features that are already there. Please contribute!

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 15-Sep-2008 08:14

I would note that I've found some of the OES functionality in the OEA product, so it's possible for users to continue doing their work in a "OES" style.

My one question is how OEA is intended to work for those of us who live in a Unix-based world? In particular, is there a way to disable OEA from generating r-code on save?

Posted by jtownsen on 15-Sep-2008 08:31

Windows -> Preferences -> OpenEdge Architect -> Editor -> Build : Actions - Compile on save if required

Does this not do it for you?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 15-Sep-2008 10:35

That must be in a newer version of OEA, as the one I'm looking at right now (10.1a) doesn't have that option.

I'll have to check my 10.1C version later.

Posted by jtownsen on 15-Sep-2008 10:47

Not having 10.1a installed to test it, if there's an option Project -> Build Automatically, you might try switching that off.

Posted by john on 26-Sep-2008 12:15

I would note that I've found some of the OES

functionality in the OEA product, so it's possible

for users to continue doing their work in a "OES"

style.

Tim, can you characterize what the important elements of "OES style" are that you have found a mapping for in OEA? One of our goals is to provide more concrete guidance here for people used to using AppBuilder and OE Studio, and customer experiences and discoveries are an important part of that.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 02-Oct-2008 10:42

Tim, can you characterize what the important elements

of "OES style" are that you have found a mapping for

in OEA? One of our goals is to provide more concrete

guidance here for people used to using AppBuilder and

OE Studio, and customer experiences and discoveries

are an important part of that.

The presence of the OES tools (procedure editor, DBA Admin, etc.) means I can continue to do things the way I'd done them in the past while I'm still figuring out what's what in the rest of the tool.

On the other hand, one major issue I have is that the editor window's relatively cramped compared to how I'm used to working with ED4Win. Is there a way to detach it so I can make it full-screen on a two-screen system?

Posted by jtownsen on 02-Oct-2008 10:47

On the other hand, one major issue I have is that the editor window's relatively cramped compared to how I'm used to working with ED4Win. Is there a way to detach it so I can make it full-screen on a two-screen system?

You can detach views, but the editors are opened into an area that's not a view. In other words, you can detach basically everything except the editors (it's an Eclipse restriction and applies to all kinds of editors, not just OpenEdge).

I usually detach the things I want on the second screen and then save a copy of the perspective with a different name. If I still have a couple of views around my editor, but want to see more of the code, double-clicking on the tab label will expand the editor section to take up as much space as possible (double-click on the tab label again to return to normal size).

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 29-Oct-2008 17:19

I've been doing some more exploring, and there's a wonderful set of training videos at

http://www.eclipse.org/users/

I've found this one to be an excellent introduction to all the navigation and window management features in Eclipse.

http://eclipsetutorial.sourceforge.net/workbench.html

This is making a LOT more sense to me now.

This thread is closed