Moving projects between machines

Posted by ChUIMonster on 10-Feb-2009 16:51

What is the correct method for moving a project from my desktop to my laptop?

I have found 100 or so incorrect methods Some of them even involve using "import" and "export" from within OEA. Every time I try to do that I end up with the project nested within itself. IOW if I export "projectName" from my desktop and then import it I must first create "projectName" on the laptop. When I then import I end up with projectName\projectName.

I did find a way to do it manually a couple of weeks ago but I don't seem to be able to replicate that.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 10-Feb-2009 16:56

There's probably not a single correct method.

I share the projects (contents and configuration) between my laptops and the desktop using a SCM tool. Exclipse offers the ability to import a project from an SCM tool. With the exported database connection defintion (.xml file), the .project, .propath, .dbconnections and the shared OE project definition (project properties, custom, share settings/import settings) you have the relevant project settings.

I never copy the .metadata directory from one machine to the other.

Posted by David Lund on 10-Feb-2009 17:22

Hi Tom,

There is a WebEx on PSDN that includes an example of one way to export and import projects. You don’t need to create the project when importing using this method. As Mike and you both note, there are other options.

PSDN Webinar Making OpenEdge Architect Work for You:

http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=5564&categoryID=1413

The basic steps are below (using demo project names). The import/export use Eclipse functionality for the projects. It was not obvious to me to pair the export Archive File with the import Existing projects when I first did this. Note on import to take Select archive file radio-set option.

Export:

STEP 1: Export projects

File > Export

General > Archive File

Select All (closed projects not exported)

C:\OpenEdge\WRK101C\ExportImport\ProjectsAcmeDemo.zip

Finish (If problems Refresh project)

STEP 2: Export databases

File > Export

OpenEdge > Database Connections

Select All

C:\OpenEdge\WRK101C\ExportImport\DBAcmeOrdSrc.xml

Finish

Import

STEP 1: Import databases

File > Import

OpenEdge > Database Connections

C:\OpenEdge\WRK101C\ExportImport\DBAcmeOrdSrc.xml

Finish

STEP 2: Import projects

File > Import

General > Existing Projects into Workspace

Select archive file

C:\OpenEdge\WRK101C\ExportImport\ProjectsAcmeDemo.zip

Finish

Regards,

David

Posted by ChUIMonster on 10-Feb-2009 17:47

Ok, that solves the nested name issue.

The only remaining problem is that anything that references Infragistics stuff craps out.

I fixed that by:

1) Creating a dummy form called "fred".

2) Dropping an UltraButton onto it.

3) Project -> Clean

4) OpenEdge -> Compile

Thanks everyone

Posted by Admin on 10-Feb-2009 23:32

Probably an issue with assemblies.xml

It's either not restored in your working directory, or you have been using another directory for that file and the -assemblies startup parameter is missing. That would be carried using the project.xml file (created as described in my earlier reply).

Posted by David Lund on 11-Feb-2009 08:22

I’ve exported and imported projects with classes that use Infragistics controls and not had any issues. I’m not sure why it isn’t working for you, something different in the configuration of your environment. Possibly Mike’s suggestion will help. I’ve found that sometimes after import doing a refresh of the project has helped correct some issues.

This thread is closed