Deploy from Windows to Unix

Posted by wvdgraaf on 18-Feb-2009 07:58

I asked the following question on the General OpenEdge forum.

http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?threadID=15372&tstart=0

Someone suggested to ask it also on the OpenEdge Architect forum.

OE 10.1C

We are working on a project using the OE Architect with SVN as our versioning tool.

The application has to be deployed on Unix.

Before using SVN we used a Samba directory mapping as our workspace, and we used a terminal emulator to start a Progress session on Unix and compile our sources.

With subversion we cannot share the same working directory anymore, because svn locks files when it's being used by multiple developers.

Now we use a local working directory. The problem now is testing. After every change, the source has to be copied to Unix and compiled. Using the "Build project" feature doesn't help us, because the .r files wil be compiled using local Windows Progress version and won't run on Unix.

Is there a way to "deploy" our sources to the Unix server and automatically have it compiled on Unix?

It has already been suggested to use the ANT script editor (which is not default enabled in OEA) or to make a DIY version of _idecompile.p

At the moment I succeeded in enabling ANT in OEA and I installed the PCT plugin which I am studyin now.

Please feel free to give your solutions to this problem.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 18-Feb-2009 08:28

Ant with PCT is very nice and you can pretty much do anything you want that you are capable of scripting. I posted about the event hooks in OEA on the original question.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Feb-2009 13:08

It has already been suggested to use the ANT script

editor (which is not default enabled in OEA) or to

make a DIY version of _idecompile.p

Check the "directory tools" program in the code share area - it provides a way to do bulk compiles of a directory tree.

Posted by jtownsen on 24-Feb-2009 04:21

As suggested on the original thread, assuming you only want to test versions checked in to svn, perhaps the best approach would be implementing an svn post-commit hook.

Posted by wvdgraaf on 24-Feb-2009 04:30

See other thread. I solved my problem using ANT scripts and the PCT tool set.

This thread is closed