OEA Annoyance

Posted by ChUIMonster on 04-Mar-2009 08:22

I am in the habit of recompiling programs immediately after changing them. I like to know that I haven't messed anything up yet

Usually I make a change in OE Editor, save it with ^S, right click on the file name and then "compile". (Which is a lot of work, I suspect that there might be a shortcut key somewhere. But, for now, that is what I do.)

Sometimes I forget ^S.

When that happens OEA appears to happily compile. But it is compiling the old, unsaved, program. When I then launch the projects startup procedure I will be told that "unsaved changes have been made..."

This is annoying and silly. Shouldn't the "compile" option have noticed the same issue and warned me?

While I'm at it... why doesn't right clicking the filename tab have "save" and "compile" options available?

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 04-Mar-2009 09:56

There are several preferences under window->preferences->run/debug->launching that affect how and when you get prompted and how the builder behaves when launching programs from a project.

Most of them are set to prompt by default.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 04-Mar-2009 10:08

Yes, I'm aware of those. That's why i get prompted on launch.

But I don't see one which would prompt me on compile. Am I overlooking something?

Posted by Matt Baker on 04-Mar-2009 10:26

The builder doesn't run in until after the file changes. It doesn't matter who or what changed it. The launch config won't run until after the build finishes.

Make sure you have the project property to save on compile turned on, otherwise it won't save the r-code so you could end up running old stuff if there is crusty r-code already in the PROPATH.

I believe that the right-click compile FORCES the compile and ignores the "save on compile" option.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 04-Mar-2009 10:33

The builder doesn't run in until after the file

changes. It doesn't matter who or what changed it.

The launch config won't run until after the build

finishes.

I don't dispute that.

Make sure you have the project property to save on

compile turned on, otherwise it won't save the r-code

so you could end up running old stuff if there is

crusty r-code already in the PROPATH.

Nor do I dispute that.

I believe that the right-click compile FORCES the

compile and ignores the "save on compile" option.

This is the crux of my annoyance.

If I am forcing a compile doesn't it seem sensible that OEA should notice that I'm compiling a program which has unsaved changes? Shouldn't that be a good reason to throw a prompt up and question my sanity?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Mar-2009 11:00

Why not just use compile on save and make it one operation?

Posted by Matt Baker on 04-Mar-2009 12:24

Ok, now I understand the issue. I had assumed the launch of the configuration was getting the old stuff even though you had saved and compiled.

Yes, you are right. It should prompt to save changes on a forced compile.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 04-Mar-2009 14:27

Ok, it took a bit of digging but I did discover that there is actually such an option (Window -> Preferences -> OEA -> Editor -> Build -> Compile on save if required) and that it does indeed appear to work.

Thanks!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Mar-2009 15:04

Too easy!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 04-Mar-2009 15:44

Too easy!

What, flipping the bit, or finding the flipping switch in the first place?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Mar-2009 17:23

Giving the answer!

Implementation left to the reader, of course.

This thread is closed