DB Structure and Visual Designer

Posted by ojfoggin on 10-Mar-2009 05:29

Hi,

I have recently installed the evaluation version of OEA and have got a couple of problems that I can't seem to find answers for.

Firstly. I have connected the database and can compile and run procedures against is (some niggles with UIB is running but I see there are a few other threads regarding this).

Anyway, the DB is definitely connected but I can't see anything in the DB Structure window. It is completely empty. Is there anything I have to do in order to populate this window?

Secondly. We have a large number of .w files that we have written using the Progress App Builder. I have used the OEA tutorial to mess around in the Visual Designer creating new GUI windows and really like it. However, when I try to open one of our existing .w files it throws an error in Visual Designer perspective and will only open in the ABL editor. If I right click in the ABL editor and click on "View Design" then I get the error "The chosen operation is not enabled".

Any help you can offer me is appreciated.

Thanks very much

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 10-Mar-2009 06:13

In the Project properties, OpenEdge, DB connections (if memory serves as I don't have Architect on this site) have you defined a SQL connection and selected it? The DB structure view and perspective uses a SQL92 connection to the DB, not a native one like the AppBuilder.

Secondly. We have a large number of .w files that we

have written using the Progress App Builder. I have

used the OEA tutorial to mess around in the Visual

Designer creating new GUI windows and really like it.

However, when I try to open one of our existing .w

files it throws an error in Visual Designer

perspective and will only open in the ABL editor.

If I right click in the ABL editor and click on

"View Design" then I get the error "The chosen

operation is not enabled".

The Visual Designer is only for creating/editing "ABL Forms" (the .net type), not old style ABL windows/frames, so you cannot view .w files in the Visual Designer perspective. The message should be more informative though.

Any help you can offer me is appreciated.

Thanks very much

OliverHi,

I have recently installed the evaluation version of

OEA and have got a couple of problems that I can't

seem to find answers for.

Firstly. I have connected the database and can

compile and run procedures against is (some niggles

with UIB is running but I see there are a few other

threads regarding this).

Anyway, the DB is definitely connected but I can't

see anything in the DB Structure window. It is

completely empty. Is there anything I have to do in

order to populate this window?

Posted by ojfoggin on 10-Mar-2009 06:34

Thanks for the quick reply.

I haven't set up the SQL connection as not sure which parameters to use. I'll sort that out with the guys here.

As for the .w files issue. Is there any easy way of converting the old .w files into the new .net type?

This would be a major limiting factor in going with OEA as we have a large number of these .w files and being able to edit them would be exssential.

Thanks again

Posted by kevin_saunders on 10-Mar-2009 07:00

The parameters would be the same as for the AppBuilder, unless you have separate login brokers for SQL connections.

No, there is no easy way of converting the old style to the new - 2 completely different animals.. Keep in mind that the two types can run side by side, it's not a case of all or nothing, except for individual screens.

You can still edit the .w fiels with Architect, but you must use the AppBuilder perspective to do it, not the Visual Designer. One of the things I always change is to 'uncouple' the AppBuilder from Architect, which I find makes things easier.

Posted by ojfoggin on 11-Mar-2009 05:20

Thanks Kevin,

Everything is set up and working now

We didn't actually have the DB server running as an SQL server so I couldn't connect an SQL client to it. A quick restart with an extra parameter line and everything was sorted.

This thread is closed