Changing the auto complete

Posted by ojfoggin on 16-Mar-2009 05:25

Is there any way to change the way auto complete works in OEA?

I have seen the option to turn it off completely but it stills seems to work.

i.e. we have a table call ititem with a field called kditem but we tend to use itite to refer to the table (we use 5 letter names a lot for tables). i.e. itite, srnam, itgro, etc...

When I turn the autocomplete off it still puts the "m" on the end of itite when I hit space or full stop but it doesn't then show the list of fields.

Is there any way to stop it from autocompleteing table names but to still have the list of fields?

Thanks

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Mar-2009 11:07

Be grateful ... abbreviating field and table names is a horrible practice and a sure road to trouble. Seriously, DON'T DO IT!

Posted by ojfoggin on 16-Mar-2009 11:36

If I had started it then I would agree but seeing as I joined the dev team here 4 months ago I've got to work with what's here and what's here is abbreviated table names.

If we use OEA to edit old procs then it won't work as if you do a find for itite then try to reference ititem it won't recognise it.

At the moment OEA won't allow us to wrtie itite and I don't fancy changing how ever many files there are with all the abbreviated table names.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Mar-2009 12:02

I sympathize with the need to follow shop standards and the need for consistency, but this is one that needs to change. It doesn't mean that you need for everyone to stop work and fix up all existing code, but it does mean that it should be brought to the attention of the development manager and the standard should be changed right now for all on-going work and all re-work of existing programs. Many coding standards are a matter of taste ... this one isn't. It is just plain bad practice and you shouldn't expect any support from OEA for such a bad choice.

Sorry to seem harsh, but this is really not a good standard for anyone to follow.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Mar-2009 13:00

What TMH said - table/field abbreviation is a hold-over from when 80x25 screens were the norm, it was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now. What makes it dangerous is it's potential for un-intended side-effects, and your shop needs to ditch this standard ASAP.

Posted by ojfoggin on 16-Mar-2009 13:25

Thanks for the response guys.

I suppose that OEA is something that will eliminate it anyway if we move over to it.

I think you're right about it being kept from an old standard as the guys who have been here longest have been around for about 7 or 8 years I think.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Mar-2009 13:29

More mid-1980s ... And a bad practice back then as well.

This thread is closed