No Outline or Properties

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Mar-2009 06:09

Hi,

I've just opened a procedure in OEA which is 15000+ lines long and the Outline and Propertties view are empty.

Also nothing happens with mouse overs on variables, includes, tables, etc...

Nor can I CTRL click names to jump to their source.

I'm guessing it's because it's a stupidly large file but just checking.

Thanks

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 19-Mar-2009 06:24

Two guesses:

Did you open the file in the ABL Editor or in the text editor?

If the AST did crash while parsing the relatively long file, try giving it more memore by adding

-vmargs -Xmx1024M

to the Eclipse startup parameter.

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Mar-2009 07:47

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I double checked and I was in the ABL editor.

I tried adding the startup paramtere but it just did the same thing and crashed quicker than before.

And now, after making the changes, I can't save the file. I have unticked compile on save to try again but it seems to be doing the same thing. It goes unresponsive and I can't do anything. I tried leaving it while I went for lunch but it was still unrepsonsive.

I have a little progress bar in the bottom of the screen but that isn't filling up at all.

It also pauses for about 10 seconds each time I make an edit. I have turned off auto check syntax but it still happens.

I have to say that, to me, OEA feels like BETA software that isn't ready to release yet.

It's buggy (crashing when entering AppBuilder), slow (even when it doesn't crash it takes 20-30 secs to open and then 30-60secs to open AppBUilder), inconsistent in the way that it's working.

This is the first time I have encountered such a large file in OEA and it has completely fallen apart. I have edited this file 4 times now as each time it has fallen over and lost the changes. (I can get round the unresponsiveness of saving by clicking the little stop button in the bottom bar.)

Message was edited by:

Oliver Foggin

Posted by Matt Baker on 19-Mar-2009 08:07

There are a few structures in code that the OEA code parser chokes on due to the complexity of the language. You only need to increase the memory if you get out of memory exceptions. These are very obvious when they happen.

If you have a file for which the outline view does not work, this means nothing else related to code modification or navigation will work either. The best course of action is to report it to tech support and provide the file so that development can find and resolve the issue with the code parser.

Message was edited by:

Matthew Baker

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Mar-2009 08:11

Cool thanks.

The file in question was created as a structured .p file in AppBuilder.

I'll report the bug.

Looks like it'll be a while before we move onto OEA then.

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Mar-2009 08:15

Wow!

It's finally filled out the outline and stuff. I reckon it took about an hour and a half from opening it to completing.

I just hope it caches the results somewhere because I can't afford to wait that long each time I open it.

Posted by Matt Baker on 19-Mar-2009 08:15

I'll assume you were reviewing 10.2a. Try again with 10.2a01 when it comes out. I know of several issues like this that have been fixed in 10.20a1.

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Mar-2009 08:17

Thanks, I'll wait for it to come out. Do you know any release dates off the top of your head?

BTW, the parsing didn't work, it's only got some of the variables etc...

Posted by Matt Baker on 19-Mar-2009 08:40

Ouch! an hour?

Does this file reference lots of include files? If so, then to the parser it might be a lot longer than 15k lines?

And no, I don't know official release dates.

This thread is closed