OEA Debugger 10.2A

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 04-Mar-2009 04:58

Anybody experienced that while debugging code (using the Debugger perspective) the Variables view is empty and you can only use the Expressions view to inspect your data?

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 05-Mar-2009 09:21

Hello David,

I have not seen this issue.

However, I guess that this is specific to a program. Do you see this issue with happening with any program? Perhaps, it is a particular variable that is causing the problem.

Do you have any messages written to the .log file in the .metadata directory when this issue happens?

I would suggest to contact Technical Support to report this issue and submit a bug report.

Hope this helps,

Edsel

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 06-Mar-2009 07:38

The behavior is the following:

1. I start a debug configuration for a project.

2. I mark a breakpoint to a piece of code.

3. I execute the part of my application that will invoke the code that is marked.

4. The debugger goes into the piece of code and I can see the variables (and all the other objects of course) in the Variables view.

-- so all ok so far --

5. I change my code and recompile.

6. I execute that part again that will invoke the code.

7. The debugger goes into the piece of code (the changed one yes) but now I can't see the variables anymore in the Variables view.

I'll open a call with Technical Support.

Posted by Admin on 06-Mar-2009 08:06

I've seen something like that.

During the second run/launh, which run/launch is focussed or selected in the Stack trace view? When I've seen that behavior, the old run was still selected. And because that was terminated, the Variables View etc. was empty. Selecting the current launch in the stack trace view solved the issue for me.

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 03-Apr-2009 02:45

This is the answer I got from Progress TechSupport:

Hi David,
I see your point. However, the OE Architect debugger, pretty much follows the convention that many other current debuggers (Visual Studio is an exception) follow:

·         When you start OpenEdge Debugger, a new prowin32 session opens, that contains the source code you saved before running the debugger. If you will this can be considered a “buffered” version of you source code. To illustrate this point, this is why you see a Progress splash screen whenever you start a debug session (a new prowin32 session is being opened).

·         Any changes you save are accounted for in the working r-code, and not the source code located in your separate debug prowin32 session.

·         Unfortunately, by design, no synchronization feature is included to make the two sessions match

·         If you would like to see these features available in OpenEdge, please log an Enhancement Request, and you request will be evaluated, and possibly implemented

·         The aforementioned points are the result of my evaluation, as well as the fruit of several internal discussions with other Progress engineers and developers

This thread is closed