OE Architect 10.2A01: Sometimes it is very slow (and slow is

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 24-Apr-2009 04:56

Hello,

i just started developing with architect and notice one bug after the next bug (much in case conversion, auto indention, etc.)
But the main problem that comes and vanishes is the speed, in the moment it is working but i don't know how long ...

I took some videos because describing is very difficult for me.

All the videos are real time!

Problems:

- If i type ":" Editor needs 20 seconds before showing the list

- Selecting with mouse is very very very slow  (keyboard isn't much faster)

Sometimes only opening the designer solved it but not every time, or only change to another window and switch back ..

After i closed every open class it works fast but it should be allowed to have 6-8 windows open, isn't it?

@Mike F: Der Code wird dir bekannt vorkommen ;-)

Stefan

oe-problem1.avi

oe-problem2.avi

oe-problem3.avi

All Replies

Posted by Sunil Belgaonkar on 24-Apr-2009 12:13

Hi Stefan

To help understand the problem better, can you provide me some more details like

- The size of the file you are having issue

- Does your class file have other includes you are including

- Are you working with the default memory settings of the OEA

Thanks

Sunil.

Posted by GregHiggins on 24-Apr-2009 12:16

I have found that this happens frequently if the document is saved and there is an unterminated statement (missing period). Press the Square red box on the botton bar of the OEA window. Find the line with the missing terminator, terminate the line. Then save the document.

Posted by GregHiggins on 24-Apr-2009 12:26

As far as I can tell, certain options try to save / parse the file behind the scenes. This parsing gets confused when it runs across improperly terminated syntax ( this is what I think you're showing in your videos ). I have turned off most of this automated items and generally don't notice the problem much except, as I mentioned earlier, when saving. I believe the reason I see the problem now is that I compile on save and if I turned that off, I suspect the problem would go away for me completely (until i ran a compile).

The problem is definitely with the parser and everytime I've checked, I've always been able to find an unterminated line.

However, most of my checking has been done since I've turned off all of the pop-up "help", so it's possible other errors might cause it, though after watching your videos, I noticed there were unterminated statements.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 27-Apr-2009 03:08

Sunil,

the size of the files are very short because it is a very small project in the moment. (we just begin with the development)

The classes with the designer code ~ 20kb and others

I modified the standard startup:

C:\dlc102a\oeide\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showlocation -vm "c:\dlc102a\jre\bin\javaw.exe"  -Xmx1024M

Includes are only used for a few TempTable definitions.

I can reproduce the error if i open 2 classes:

The first class is created with the designer with some modifications: (changed some .NET controls from private to protected)

The second class inherits the first class and have the "code" for the first class to split design from code.

The error happens if the designer class hasen't the focus if i start the OEA.

After doing a simple click on the designer class everything is fine!

I don't thinks that it is a memory problem.

Please have a look to oe-problem4. This shows much things.

Stefan

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 27-Apr-2009 05:45

Greg,

i am coming from the VS graphical world (started with VB3), I like the most pop-up helps, auto indention, ...

Do you really notice a line with missing termination in my video?

But why does it works fine if the other class got the focus for a second?

BTW: I enable compile on save but not "Automatically check syntax".

OT: During typing this text i noticed high cpu too, IE8 uses 30%  ;-)

Stefan

Posted by Sunil Belgaonkar on 27-Apr-2009 07:56

Stefan,

With OEA 10.2a01 environment, I am not able to reproduce the problem you mention. Would it be possible to either share your project with all the code or sample code where you can reproduce the issue with me? You can send the sample code to me at sbelgaon@progress.com. Thanks

Sunil.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 27-Apr-2009 10:17

Sunil,

please have a look to W904210006.

Perhaps you can takeover this WR from europe support.

Stefan

Posted by egarcia on 27-Apr-2009 10:24

Hello Stefan,

Based on some of the information that you provided, I am wondering if the issue of the slow response to ":" is happening because the absence of r-code.

- If i type ":" Editor needs 20 seconds before showing the list

BTW: I enable compile on save but not "Automatically check syntax".

Since "Compile On Save" is enabled, I am guessing that "Build Automatically" is turned off and r-code is not available for some classes. Do you need to have the "Build Automatically" option turned off?

Recently, an issue was reported for this scenario, where the content assist code would be slow due to additional file scans for r-code to get the types.

Is the project on a network drive? Is there a large number of files in other projects in the same workspace?

To confirm this issue one could use the FileMonitor tool to see if several files are scanned at the time. Also, one could use the Java Console tool with jmxremote enabled in the Architect session to get a stacktrace.

To enable jmxremote, add "-vmargs -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Xmx384m" to the command line. If the -vmargs is used, the -Xmx parameter needs to be specified, otherwise, the default value would be used. (A previous post showed -Xmx without the -vmargs parameter, I think that would not work since -vmargs is also needed for this parameter.)

I think that a possible workaround would be to enable "Build Automatically" so that r-code would be present and prevent the scenario with the issue.

I hope this helps,

Edsel

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 29-Apr-2009 02:03

Edsel,

> A previous post showed -Xmx without the -vmargs parameter, I think that would not work since -vmargs is also needed for this parameter

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/HotSpotFAQ.html

thanks for info, i forgot to set this parameter but this doesn't solve my problem. (my project is very small and the default values have to be o.k.)

BTW: During searching information about Xmx i found that Sun recommended to setting Xms = Xmx.

Stefan

Posted by egarcia on 29-Apr-2009 05:25

Hello Stefan,

If Project->Build Automatically is enabled and the number of files is small, then it is not the issue that I was thinking of.

I am considering that the delay when using ":" in context assist (the first time) may also caused by the load of the .NET assemblies. If there are many assemblies, a delay would be expected.

How many assemblies are in the assemblies.xml file? Are all those assemblies needed?

Are there any assemblies defined in the Class Browser as external resources?

Regards,

Edsel

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 29-Apr-2009 06:03

Edsel,

did you notice that selecting text with mouse is slow too?

The project has only the default assemblies of a fresh project, i use only ms-forms no ultra ...

Compiling the whole project changes nothing.

In the moment PSC has the source and try to reproduce the error.

Stefan

Posted by egarcia on 29-Apr-2009 10:23

Hi Stefan,

Yes, I noticed that the selection with the mouse was slow too.

I focused on the content assist issue because I thought that it was the same as another issue that I am familiar.

It is good that Technical Support has the workspace and are trying to reproduce the issue. I noticed an exception (java.lang.ClassCastException) in the .log file that might be causing some delay. I will mention it to Technical Support so that they can work with you and confirm if that is the problem.

Regards,

Edsel

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 30-Apr-2009 01:28

Edsel,

PSC could reproduce the isse (OE00183753).

I noticed that this problems happens in every class pair we are using.

I was told in a course to separate designer code from user code because OEA puts it all together in one class and not in partial classes like VS.

For every form we have FormDesigner.cls and Form.cls. Form.cls inherits FormDesigner and implements one interface.

For reproduce i open this class pair with Editor only and put the focus to Form.cls, restart OEA and voila !

Stefan

This thread is closed